Gigabit Switch making PC only 100 Mbit/s

Rist

Hey guys, I bought a Gigabit LS105G TP-Link switch for my home network, but after connecting my PC to it, my ISP Router says it's 100Mbit/s, even though the switch, and both cables used (ISP Router to Switch / Switch to PC) are 1000Mbit/s.

I've checked the Ethernet connection on the PC, it says 1000Mbit/s, but as said above, the ISP Router says 100Mbit/s. Any ideas?

11 minutes ago, rickeo said:

The ISP's router has a gigabit capable port? Model of router? 

The Router is a Huawei HG8245Q2, and yes, it is capable because if I connect my PC directly into the router, it works on Gigabit, I've checked and both cables and the switch, and they all work on Gigabit

You can try setting your PC's NIC from auto-negotiate to 1Gbps Full Duplex for testing but i'm a firm believer you should never have to do that as a permanent solution. 

image.png.81f9e4702db7ce854a8fbe7e11003ee5.png

Just now, rickeo said:

You can try setting your PC's NIC from auto-negotiate to 1Gbps Full Duplex for testing but i'm a firm believer you should never have to do that as a permanent solution. 

image.png.81f9e4702db7ce854a8fbe7e11003ee5.png

Also tried this, on my PC it shows 1Gbps, but on the router it shows 100mbps

Ok, so now it seems like less of a functionality problem and more like a reporting problem in your routers interface. Do you have gigabit WAN service and are you able to test the bandwidth? A speedtest or something? 

End of the day, who knows what Huawei's interface is setup to show you or if it even can display Gigabit in that mystery screen you're looking at. The real test is going to be real world. 

Just now, rickeo said:

Ok, so now it seems like less of a functionality problem and more like a reporting problem in your routers interface. Do you have gigabit WAN service and are you able to test the bandwidth? A speedtest or something? 

End of the day, who knows what Huawei's interface is setup to show you or if it even can display Gigabit in that mystery screen you're looking at. The real test is going to be real world. 

I have tested it and it goes up to 400Mbps, and if I connect the PC directly into the router it works on Gigabit

Just now, Rist said:

I have tested it and it goes up to 400Mbps, and if I connect the PC directly into the router it works on Gigabit

400Mb/s is 4x faster than 100Mb/s so your link isn't being limited by anything. 

To prove this, connect the PC directly to that router and test again.

I think you're getting caught up on the router's interface saying 100Mb/s but you just proved that isn't the case. 

Just now, rickeo said:

400Mb/s is 4x faster than 100Mb/s so your link isn't being limited by anything. 

To prove this, connect the PC directly to that router and test again.

I'm sorry, it goes to 400Mb/s if I connect the PC directly into the router

Just now, Rist said:

I'm sorry, it goes to 400Mb/s if I connect the PC directly into the router

When in that configuration, what does the routers interface say? All i'm trying to prove with that is if the routers interface is capable is changing to displaying 1Gb/s and we're not just dealing with a reporting issue with that interface. What I mean by that is the routers interface might just always say 100Mb/s regardless of the true link speed. I could 100% see that being the case.

Also, when you do a speedtest with the switch connected in the middle, what speeds do you see?

4 minutes ago, rickeo said:

When in that configuration, what does the routers interface say? All i'm trying to prove with that is if the routers interface is capable is changing to displaying 1Gb/s and we're not just dealing with a reporting issue with that interface. What I mean by that is the routers interface might just always say 100Mb/s regardless of the true link speed. I could 100% see that being the case.

Also, when you do a speedtest with the switch connected in the middle, what speeds do you see?

The router indeed changes between 100 and 1000, if the switch is used or not, respectively.
A speedtest shows 100 max when the switch is used, and 400 max when it's not used.

It's not an issue with the router's interface

Just now, Rist said:

The router indeed changes between 100 and 1000, if the switch is used or not, respectively.
A speedtest shows 100 max when the switch is used, and 400 max when it's not used.

It's not an issue with the router's interface

Ok, well we've confirmed that now. I had to run you through that because that's something that absolutely could be the case and we'd be trying all sorts of things for no reason.

Honestly at this point, if I was sitting there with all that stuff, now that we know the routers interface can change, i'd be trying all different cables and ports on the switch between it and the router. Really only thing you can do at this point besides trying a new switch.

Just now, rickeo said:

Ok, well we've confirmed that now. I had to run you through that because that's something that absolutely could be the case and we'd be trying all sorts of things for no reason.

Honestly at this point, if I was sitting there with all that stuff, now that we know the routers interface can change, i'd be trying all different cables and ports on the switch between it and the router. Really only thing you can do at this point besides trying a new switch.

I tested using the switch on a notebook, instead of my PC, and it worked correctly there, I'm very confused by this

Just now, Rist said:

I tested using the switch on a notebook, instead of my PC, and it worked correctly there, I'm very confused by this

Ok, yeah that doesn't make any sense, the issue was between the switch and the router before.

If you still have that connected, disconnect this notebook and recheck what the routers interface says. The connection between any computer and the switch should have absolutely zero impact on the connection between the switch and the router. That's.. not possible. 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

Ok, yeah that doesn't make any sense, the issue was between the switch and the router before.

If you still have that connected, disconnect this notebook and recheck what the routers interface says. The connection between any computer and the switch should have absolutely zero impact on the connection between the switch and the router. That's.. not possible. 

If I disconnect the notebook, the router port it uses says zero. If I connect the notebook directly into the router, it says 1000

Just now, Rist said:

If I disconnect the notebook, the router port it uses says zero. If I connect the notebook directly into the router, it says 1000

Alright well i'm having trouble following what you're doing then. My understanding is you had

Notebook <---->Switch<----->Router

And at that point, the router indicated 1Gb/s

I asked if you could just disconnect the notebook, leaving everything else alone, and check what the router indicated. It SHOULD still say 1Gb/s as the connection between the two is completely independent to what ever other device you have connected to the switch. 

8 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Alright well i'm having trouble following what you're doing then. My understanding is you had

Notebook <---->Switch<----->Router

And at that point, the router indicated 1Gb/s

I asked if you could just disconnect the notebook, leaving everything else alone, and check what the router indicated. It SHOULD still say 1Gb/s as the connection between the two is completely independent to what ever other device you have connected to the switch. 

Sorry, but yes, it still says 1Gb/s. It's been a while since I had to work on a network. Sorry for the confusion