GPU Buying suggestions

TalkyRaptor
Go to solution Solved by freeagent,

Ohh man.. I have been tempted more than a few times to pay scalper prices online, even fucking Newegg.ca is doing it, and I'm not talking about 3rd part sellers either. I have been watching Memory Express and yesterday they happened to get 10 of my cards in. When I saw the site there were 7 in stock.. I begged the guy to hold one for me I'm on the other side of the city and I would be there in an hour.. sorry sir first come fist serve.. fuck. So I got there an hour later and I see people checking out with RTX cards and I was like nooo. My turn, and I said Hello I want to buy the EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra. And he said, the combo? Dammit. Yes the combo. Hold on let me check.. shit shit shit. He came back out empty  handed and more internal swearing as he kept walking. But then he went back to the back again and was gone for like 5 mins. Do0d. You are killing me wtf. But then he came out with a big green box and I dam near shit my pants because I knew what the bill was going to be. And then he came back with my 750w evga PSU that I had to buy. I asked when they were getting more and he said he wasn't expecting these so.. who knows. I paid a little bit more than retail and then the PSU. It was cheaper than every single 3060 sold by third party sellers right now on newegg.ca even with the PSU. It took me 9 months to build this pc..

Long story short.. If you don't want to wait, do it. If you can make do, do it, 😄

I have found a GTX 1070 on eBay that I was thinking of buying for $350 usd. I would prefer a RTX 3060 for my system or 2070 but they are expensive because of the shortage. Should I wait to buy a RTX series card in 1-2 years when prices fall to msrp +/- 30 or buy this card and selling it later to buy a more powerful gpu 2-3 years from now?

Hopefully things normalize in a years time, however, Nvidia's CEO did say he expects the availability to still be a challenge through most of 2022. With that being said, in 1-3 years time there will very likely be another gen of cards released; maybe even another player like Intel becoming a viable alternative. It also wouldn't surprise me if the MSRP creep continues since clearly people are willing to pay it.

I haven't been following the used prices too much, so don't know if $350 for a 1070 is good or not (feels high, but prices now are all high so IDK). It ultimately comes down to how bad you want/need a GPU. If you really want/need one and have the discretionary income then yeah, you can probably go for it and see what pans out for a more powerful card in the future.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Can you wait? Do you want to? Id get something better than my 1060 if my cpu could handle it. I prefer to enjoy stuff while I can. If my card can do it now while I wait, then so be it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Ohh man.. I have been tempted more than a few times to pay scalper prices online, even fucking Newegg.ca is doing it, and I'm not talking about 3rd part sellers either. I have been watching Memory Express and yesterday they happened to get 10 of my cards in. When I saw the site there were 7 in stock.. I begged the guy to hold one for me I'm on the other side of the city and I would be there in an hour.. sorry sir first come fist serve.. fuck. So I got there an hour later and I see people checking out with RTX cards and I was like nooo. My turn, and I said Hello I want to buy the EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra. And he said, the combo? Dammit. Yes the combo. Hold on let me check.. shit shit shit. He came back out empty  handed and more internal swearing as he kept walking. But then he went back to the back again and was gone for like 5 mins. Do0d. You are killing me wtf. But then he came out with a big green box and I dam near shit my pants because I knew what the bill was going to be. And then he came back with my 750w evga PSU that I had to buy. I asked when they were getting more and he said he wasn't expecting these so.. who knows. I paid a little bit more than retail and then the PSU. It was cheaper than every single 3060 sold by third party sellers right now on newegg.ca even with the PSU. It took me 9 months to build this pc..

Long story short.. If you don't want to wait, do it. If you can make do, do it, 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Can you wait? Do you want to? Id get something better than my 1060 if my cpu could handle it. I prefer to enjoy stuff while I can. If my card can do it now while I wait, then so be it. 

I am using a intel i gpu so waiting can only go so long as performance is horrible 

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

You got so lucky.

1 hour ago, RAS_3885 said:

Hopefully things normalize in a years time, however, Nvidia's CEO did say he expects the availability to still be a challenge through most of 2022. With that being said, in 1-3 years time there will very likely be another gen of cards released; maybe even another player like Intel becoming a viable alternative. It also wouldn't surprise me if the MSRP creep continues since clearly people are willing to pay it.

I haven't been following the used prices too much, so don't know if $350 for a 1070 is good or not (feels high, but prices now are all high so IDK). It ultimately comes down to how bad you want/need a GPU. If you really want/need one and have the discretionary income then yeah, you can probably go for it and see what pans out for a more powerful card in the future.

I would sell the gtx 1070 for like 150-200 and buy a new card if prices are okay