CPUs don't appear to be boosting at all, 2x Xeon E5-2673 V2s.

M.Laz
Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@M.Laz Why is the Short Duration Power Limit set to only 12W. This will kill Intel Turbo Boost. The recommended value is 1.2 X 110W so the short power limit should be set to at least 132W. Personally, I set both power limits to the maximum, 4095W, so they do not interfere with turbo boost. 

g6Jw7Ry.png

Main specs:

• MB: Supermicro X9DR3-f
  • CPU: 2x Xeon E5-2673 v2s
  • Ram: 128gb pc3-14900

I'll try and keep this short. I'm not seeing any of my cores turbo over the base CPU's speed.
I gathered some graph data from 3dMark's Timespy benchmark. One image is from the results screen, others are created from data logged with hwinfo64 while running the benchmark. 
Thermals don't seem to be an issue. I don't think these old CPUs can report their power use but the BMC can log power use at the PSU and the peak draw reported from my benchmarking timeframe is 466 watts. The PSU is rated at 920w. 

I've attached a bunch of pictures, not all the info may be relevant. 
They do make this post looks a bit long, sorry for the information overload.

It may be that the jank level is just too high (the majority of these parts were recovered from e-waste sources I had a while back). If that's the case, I'll accept that. But I don't want to give up without a fight so I'm hoping some experts here might be able to help.

My goal is to get through the chip shortages and see about putting something new-ish together when MSRPs hopefully have meaning again. 

Spoiler

timespy_scores.png

Spoiler

timespy_monitoring.PNG

Spoiler

CPU_core_temps.png

Spoiler

CPU_usage.png

Spoiler

CPU_clocks.png

Spoiler

cpu_settings.jpg

Spoiler

cpu_info.jpg

Spoiler

cpu_power_settings.jpg

Spoiler

QPI_info.jpg

Spoiler

RAM_Settings.jpg

Edited by M.Laz
Putting images behind a spoiler tag to tyr and help load times

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Are there reasons for the disabled Hyper-Threading? Because according to the user manual, it's factory-enabled.

Try resetting the BIOS to default and see if it works.

I started with hyperthreading enabled, I disabled it because the resource sharing can lower the performance of the cores. In my case, disabling it boosted by CPU score in timespy by around 500 points. 

What is this software you are measuring with graphs?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

@M.Laz Why is the Short Duration Power Limit set to only 12W. This will kill Intel Turbo Boost. The recommended value is 1.2 X 110W so the short power limit should be set to at least 132W. Personally, I set both power limits to the maximum, 4095W, so they do not interfere with turbo boost. 

g6Jw7Ry.png

13 hours ago, unclewebb said:

g6Jw7Ry.png

Thanks, that did it. I misread the option. I lost track of the details trying to figure out the other options. I did a conservative 140w boost and do see at least one core briefly hitting the 4GHZ mark and temps are still under control. 

This system isn't power efficient but you've let me see about eeking out a bit more performance to where I can hopefully wait out the CPU, mainboard, and RAM price hikes.