Looking For Advice and Revisions

Budget (including currency): $1500(USD) 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Geometry Dash, Terraria, (Video Editing?)

Other details Hey, new builder here. Just wanted to post this here for tips and revisions for my first build ( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LM7wdD ) Looking for mid-range optimizations and replacements to hardware. The place I'm looking to replace is probably the graphics card. That's it, looking forward to comments.

I see why you want to replace that GPU choice. The RX550 is a terrible graphics card for that price. It's not much better than a GT 1030, which can be had for half the price, but even that is terrible.

You really don't need much horsepower to play Geometry Dash and Terraria. They can even be played on Intel iGPUs. So I'd just get a used card on eBay for now. My recommendation would be the Nvidia Quadro K620, which has slightly better performance than a GTX 650, but is still supported by Nvidia, has 2GB of VRAM (double the typical GTX 650), and you can get it used for $50-60.

1. Put in a SSD

2. Just get a 5700G and worry about the gpu later when they get cheaper

3. You don't need thermal paste since stock cooler comes with one and even most aftermarket coolers do too

That's the 3 things I can immediately comment about but there's other small ones that might be my preference like going with an IPS monitor and getting a cheap mechanical kb rather than that. Also could go with a smaller psu but depending on what gpu you want to get later it doesn't hurt to have some extra headroom there.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

5 minutes ago, Mo5 said:

1. Put in a SSD

2. Just get a 5700G and worry about the gpu later when they get cheaper

Good catch! I didn't even realize there was no SSD. That's essential these days.

Why the 5700G over the 5600G? The iGPU performance is comparable, but the latter is $100 cheaper.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Good catch! I didn't even realize there was no SSD. That's essential these days.

Why the 5700G over the 5600G? The iGPU performance is comparable, but the latter is $100 cheaper.

Why not get the best thing you can get in budget?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Just now, Mo5 said:

Why not get the best thing you can get in budget?

Considering that the 5600X offers comparable CPU performance to the 5700G, I think getting a used GPU is a better stop-gap option. That GPU can then be resold or repurposed, so it'll be a better value in the long run.

If you want to use the budget headroom, you can go up to the 5800X and a $50 used graphics card for just $80 more than the 5700G since the 5800X is going for only $400.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Considering that the 5600X offers comparable CPU performance to the 5700G, I think getting a used GPU is a better stop-gap option. That GPU can then be resold or repurposed, so it'll be a better value in the long run.

If you want to use the budget headroom, you can go up to the 5800X and a $50 used graphics card for just $80 more than the 5700G since the 5800X is going for only $400.

if this was 2017 I'd totally agree with that but if you can find a used gpu that performs better than the iGPU of the 5700G for less than 100$ good luck.

osu! profile