GPU Fan Control

VerbisDiablo

I was watching a vid about turning up your GPU fans to improve performance.  I have an EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080.  I have precision X1 and MSI Afterburner.  The hottest I've seen my GPU get was 78c while playing Coldwar TDM for 4 hours.  Usually regular gaming, depending on the game of course, it doesn't get above 72c.  I hear a lot about making a fan curve and I've heard to keep them at 100% all the time.  Not sure how to make a fan curve and 100% all the time seems like it would lower the cards life span.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!
Making a fan curve in msi afterburner is easy. There’s a graph you drag some dots around on to define at what temps the fan goes at what rpm. Also don’t keep them at 100% all the time, that’s pointless when your temps are already pretty low, it would just be loud. And don’t worry, your card won’t die any faster with a fan curve, a good fan curve wi help it live longer because of lower temps.

I'd reccomend against using two different GPU utilities at the same time, as they both may end up fighting over what to do with the card.

Afterburner has a built in utility for setting fan curves. Not sure about Precision X1.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

9 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

I'd reccomend against using two different GPU utilities at the same time, as they both may end up fighting over what to do with the card.

Afterburner has a built in utility for setting fan curves. Not sure about Precision X1.

Precision X1 does, and honestly, it would be the one I recommend to use over MSI Afterburner in this case due to his card being EVGA. This will allow him to control the RGB on it as well as take advantage of the ICX temperature sensors on the card that Afterburner will not see or be able to record. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card