HDD died?

Bartek.S

So yesterday i was playing games and using by PC normally and today i turn my PC on and it didn´t want to load windows, restarted it 4 time and it loaded windows (its on my main SSD drive) and I was surprised because when I started steam and wanted to update a game (that was on my HDD) it said a disk write error then I tried to open anything on that HDD and it always failed, so after that I opened disk info 64 (crystal disk info) and when I selected my SSD it said everything was all right and it is healthy and when I chose my HDD my PC started to not respond and I had to restart it. I am wondering if my HDD just died overnight (and also it was making a quiet clicking noise) i took that HDD out of the PC to not risk corrupting my C drive.

15 minutes ago, Bartek.S said:

So yesterday i was playing games and using by PC normally and today i turn my PC on and it didn´t want to load windows, restarted it 4 time and it loaded windows (its on my main SSD drive) and I was surprised because when I started steam and wanted to update a game (that was on my HDD) it said a disk write error then I tried to open anything on that HDD and it always failed, so after that I opened disk info 64 (crystal disk info) and when I selected my SSD it said everything was all right and it is healthy and when I chose my HDD my PC started to not respond and I had to restart it. I am wondering if my HDD just died overnight (and also it was making a quiet clicking noise) i took that HDD out of the PC to not risk corrupting my C drive.

This isn't Covid, it isn't contagious.

Is this a laptop ? shock is the most probable cause.

HDD is probably dead.

It'd be nice if you could try it on another pc.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

42 minutes ago, Bartek.S said:

The clicking noise and the inability of the hard drive to open anything stored on it are 2 things that show that a hard drive is dead/is dying. You should try connecting it to a different PC to see if it's working and should try "formatting" (NOT quick format) it since if there are bad sectors on your HDD there are always reserved sectors which get replaced by the bad sectors on your drive and "formatting" (NOT quick format) the drive would replace all the bad ones with the good ones in reserve though you'll lose all your data and a normal format (again, NOT quick format) takes way longer than a quick format. HDD capacity ∝ Time taken for the format to complete.

6 minutes ago, Hamza-Jilani said:

The clicking noise and the inability of the hard drive to open anything stored on it are 2 things that show that a hard drive is dead/is dying. You should try connecting it to a different PC to see if it's working and should try "formatting" (NOT quick format) it since if there are bad sectors on your HDD there are always reserved sectors which get replaced by the bad sectors on your drive and "formatting" (NOT quick format) the drive would replace all the bad ones with the good ones in reserve though you'll lose all your data and a normal format (again, NOT quick format) takes way longer than a quick format. HDD capacity ∝ Time taken for the format to complete.

Its weird that it would die after only 2 years, but it could be possible and also i will probably just buy a new HDD to not risk this happening again, i have no other pc to plug it in to and i didn`t have any important data on that drive becouse it was only for games.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:57 PM, Bartek.S said:

Its weird that it would die after only 2 years, but it could be possible and also i will probably just buy a new HDD to not risk this happening again, i have no other pc to plug it in to and i didn`t have any important data on that drive becouse it was only for games.

Yeah due to the HDD's behavior it seems that it is nearing it's death so if it's feasible to get a new HDD then that's the best option!