$750 Build (No GPU)

Budget (including currency): $750 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, etc. Some light CAD/Office stuff when I work from home. Main thing to note, is this is running on my livingroom TV (65" LG).

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current PC:

i5 4680k

16gb DDR 3

750 Ti

512gb Samsung Evo 850

The plan is to pull the GPU and make the old PC full-time Plex server. GPU goes in new PC until new ones are a sane price.

New idea:

Ryzen 3600

??? Mobo

2x8gb Ballistic 3600Mhz CL16

WD Blue SN550 1 TB

Coolmaster Masterbox Q300L

Seasonic Focus 650w Semi modular

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RGPGQD

Mostly looking for guidance on memory and motherboard.

Some stuff said to go with 3600mhz memory, but the R5 3600 lists 3200 MHz as the max.

Not sure what is the best bang for buck motherboard is. I don't have much for requirements. TV is in a storage room below my living room, so most IO is just a USB hub on a long cable.

19 minutes ago, CaptainCaswell said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, etc. Some light CAD/Office stuff when I work from home. Main thing to note, is this is running on my livingroom TV (65" LG).

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current PC:

i5 4680k

16gb DDR 3

750 Ti

512gb Samsung Evo 850

The plan is to pull the GPU and make the old PC full-time Plex server. GPU goes in new PC until new ones are a sane price.

New idea:

Ryzen 3600

??? Mobo

WD Blue SN550 1 TB

Some stuff said to go with 3600mhz memory, but the R5 3600 lists 3200 MHz as the max.

Not sure what is the best bang for buck motherboard is. I don't have much for requirements. TV is in a storage room below my living room, so most IO is just a USB hub on a long cable.

Gigabyte's B450M-DS3H is a the cheapest board I would recommend for a 3600, and is what I would choose. Though many B460 boards can be found for under $100.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

7 minutes ago, CaptainCaswell said:

Current PC:

i5 4680k

16gb DDR 3

750 Ti

512gb Samsung Evo 850

New idea:

Ryzen 3600

??? Mobo

WD Blue SN550 1 TB

For mobo, look for b450 ones, most of the recent ones have bios flashed. Like ASRock, or Asus, MSI, any reputable one. As for memory, 3600 is supported, you just have to enable DOCP (XMP) in the bios to get those speeds. But if budget is a concern, 3200 will do just fine, and it can probably be increased to 3600 if OC'ed. 

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

59 minutes ago, CaptainCaswell said:

Is CPU overclocking a priority for you? A520 is an option if you never plan on touching OC settings. Otherwise B450 is a solid budget option. And they usually come cheaper with a VRM heat sink anyway.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kRTzK8/msi-b450m-pro-vdh-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-vdh-max

With a solid VRM and reasonable features for a gamer, this is probably the best bang for buck board for the 3600 right now, not counting some local sale at a shop near you. The guaranteed support for Ryzen 3000 is nice as well.

59 minutes ago, CaptainCaswell said:

3600 CL16 might be expensive, you could consider 3200CL16 or 3600CL18 if you want to save a bit of money (barely any performance difference). The R5 3600 wouldn't struggle with 3600MHz memory in most cases even if the official spec supports 3200.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad