Christmas GPU Prices

Hi All,

I'm sure everyone is sick to the teeth of talking about GPU prices and it's definitely too early in the year to talk about Christmas but, bear with me. 

This is my first time in almost 20 years looking at building my own PC so I haven't been watching price trends of components until this year (how depressing that has been!).

My question is this; In a normal year, do GPU prices go up or availability go down in the lead in to Christmas?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm waiting for GPU prices and availability to improve before I buy my components and, given the current situation, I'm wondering if there is a kind of cut-off point where the current (limited) improvements in price and availability will stop and may possibly be reversed if people are the market for GPUs and/or full pre-builts for Christmas?

I think I will have money available around October to buy whatever I need. Obviously I'd love to get the best deal possible but, if I wait too long, will I miss the "dip in the market" and be stuck until early next year? I'm looking at 3070, 3070ti or 3080 cards as that is around my what my budget can handle. Which card I get is obviously dependent on what's available and what their price is at the time. I'd like a 3080 but I'm not willing to pay ~€1,500 for one.

I'm aware that 4000-series GPUs are just over the horizon too but I don't think their launch, whenever that may be, will help the situation for 3000-series cards. In fact, I think it might make things worse. Why would a company use valuable (and scarce) raw materials and manufacturing capacity to produce cheaper last-gen cards when they can make the new stuff and get more money for those? The current situation may just move on to the 4000-series cards and the 3000-series may be "forgotten" about somewhat. I hope I'm not right but, it's possible.

I'm not dead set on having a PC this year so I could wait until early next year but, things may not improve all that much by then either. Prices and availability on the sites I can buy from are fluctuating, more popular kinds of GPUs such as EVGA FTW cards come into stock and quickly disappear and the next time they come back in, their prices have increased a little. Apparently less popular cards such as Zotac seem to sit in stock permanently and consequently, their prices drop.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

54 minutes ago, KaTaLy5t-87 said:

My question is this; In a normal year, do GPU prices go up or availability go down in the lead in to Christmas?

Probably up, to then subsequently fool you with "deals" that bring it to or just barely below the "original" price. At least that's what a bunch of stores over here usually pull on you.

55 minutes ago, KaTaLy5t-87 said:

The reason I'm asking is that I'm waiting for GPU prices and availability to improve before I buy my components and, given the current situation, I'm wondering if there is a kind of cut-off point where the current (limited) improvements in price and availability will stop and may possibly be reversed if people are the market for GPUs and/or full pre-builts for Christmas?

They have already stopped in my experience. 3080s have settled around €1400 and 3080 Tis around €1700 here for a while now.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

21 minutes ago, tikker said:

Probably up, to then subsequently fool you with "deals" that bring it to or just barely below the "original" price. At least that's what a bunch of stores over here usually pull on you.

They have already stopped in my experience. 3080s have settled around €1400 and 3080 Tis around €1700 here for a while now.

That is a little depressing. I have a decent enough build spec'd out for around €1300 with no GPU. Not sure I'd be happy spending the same amount or more than that on a GPU. Could be going with a 3060 or 3070 if prices don't come down a bit more.