Using two GPUs for two monitors

Hi everyone, 

This is my first post on these forums (Actually just made an account for this), so if I screw something up on the post please let me know!

I have gotten to finally get ahold of a new 3090 graphics card, and I still have my old 1070. I have 2 monitors (Main is 2560 x 1440 at 144 hz, secondary is 1080p at 60 hz.) and I was wondering if it was possible to set them up such that I am using the 3090 to run the main monitor, and the 1070 to run the secondary monitor.

Here is a link to what the current build will be: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tylman/saved/xZYGP6 Unfortunately, I can't add the two different GPUs on here, but I can tell you that the 1070 is EVGA GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0

So, what do you guys think? Will I be able to use my two GPUs like this? Or do I need to get a better case for thermals, or is it just a fool's errand to begin with?

Just now, Tileman said:

and the 1070 to run the secondary monitor.

Doesnt work that way. Primary GPU handles all processing, secondary cards are used as display passthrough. I wouldnt bother with it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Doesnt work that way. Primary GPU handles all processing, secondary cards are used as display passthrough. I wouldnt bother with it.

Even if I plug the second monitor directly into the 1070?

If it doesn't work like that, then would it be better to plug in my second monitor to my CPU integrated graphics, or my GPU?

Thanks for the response, btw.

Just now, Tileman said:

Even if I plug the second monitor directly into the 1070?

If it doesn't work like that, then would it be better to plug in my second monitor to my CPU integrated graphics, or my GPU?

Thanks for the response, btw.

Same thing would apply there aswell, iGPU would used for just display outputs, no processing would done there unless application specifically targets intel gpus. Keeping it simple is always better when it comes to having multiple graphics cards. Just use your 3090 for everything, dont keep your 1070 in the system, or enable your igpu.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

26 minutes ago, Levent said:

Same thing would apply there aswell, iGPU would used for just display outputs, no processing would done there unless application specifically targets intel gpus. Keeping it simple is always better when it comes to having multiple graphics cards. Just use your 3090 for everything, dont keep your 1070 in the system, or enable your igpu.

Awesome, thanks so much.

I'm actually not a total noob to in-depth computational man pages. Do you know where I can read more about how this stuff actually works? All of the articles I'm finding are kind of just saying stuff, without giving references.

What would you be hoping to achieve by doing this? Running two monitors off one card is perfectly fine. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I guess I was just hoping to still get use out of my 1070, since I didn't have anything else to do with it. It just made sense to me that I had 2 GPUs and 2 monitors. That way I could stream/view feeds with my friends on discord with 1 gpu, and game on the other.

2 minutes ago, Tileman said:

I guess I was just hoping to still get use out of my 1070, since I didn't have anything else to do with it. It just made sense to me that I had 2 GPUs and 2 monitors. That way I could stream/view feeds with my friends on discord with 1 gpu, and game on the other.

You can do that still, that's why GPU's have more than one video output.

9 minutes ago, Tileman said:

You could use it for Folding@home. LTT has a large team. In fact, we're the second largest team on the charts. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Thats not how it works, you could use the other one for compute or folding or something

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they