Should I use 2 SSID's or 1?

Jsos16

I have home a network with an ISP provided modem/router [192.168.1.1] which is broadcasting a wifi/SSID. To achieve better wifi connectivity and coverage in the basement I ran a cat5 cable to the basement where it connects to a D-Link switch (DGS-1008P) which is then connected to an D-Link access point (D-Link DAP 2660) via POE. The AP is configured to broadcast a different SSID than the modem/router. The AP is configured with a static IP [192.168.1.2] and has DHCP disabled so IP's for devices on the network ultimately are getting them from the modem/router.  

1. Would there be any advantage or reason to configure my D-Link AP to use the same SSID as my modem/router? 

2. I'm thinking of setting up an additional switch and AP to get better wifi coverage upstairs. Any special considerations or configurations having this many AP's and SSID's in such close proximity to one another.

3. Should I consider changing my AP to serve as a DHCP?

4. Any advice configuring/operating a network with multiple AP's?

Thanks in advance for your time reading and any feedback you may provide. 

Home Network.JPG

As someone with 2 completely separate internet connections running at the same time, with the routers literally right next to each other (and another one in another room), it is entirely personal preference in your case whether you have 1 or multiple SSIDs. I have had zero issues with interference on either network and i had about 4 SSIDs running at one point in a fairly small house

basically it will come down to needing to manually connect to the relevant network depending on where you are in the house if you have separate SSIDs unless you can find a way to automatically switch the network based on signal strength on the relevant devices.

DHCP should be handled by with ever router has the better DHCP control.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I like knowing which AP I am connecting a device to which is one of the reasons I did separate SSID's in the first place. Makes me think I'll just leave things as they are. 

Thanks for the feedback.