Video Editing Nas

dvnwllms

Budget (including currency): 650

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ingesting footage, storing footage

Other details: N/A

Here's a parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.76 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($193.82 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory  ($31.53 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 350 W 80+ Gold Certified Flex ATX Power Supply  ($112.15 @ Amazon) 
Wired Network Adapter: Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter  ($101.13 @ Amazon) 
Custom: NBOX Nas Chassis ($149.50)
Total: $647.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-15 17:51 EDT-0400

I think $650 before storage is in a solid place especially compared to non-DIY 10Gbit nas boxes. I have a 10Gb M1 Mac Mini that I'm going to be editing with. Anything you'd change?

//e: Forgot to mention it'll only be 4k footage not anything crazy like red raw 8k or something like that.

Edited by dvnwllms

43 minutes ago, dvnwllms said:

Budget (including currency): 650

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ingesting footage, storing footage

Other details: N/A

Here's a parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.76 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($193.82 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory  ($31.53 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 350 W 80+ Gold Certified Flex ATX Power Supply  ($112.15 @ Amazon) 
Wired Network Adapter: Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter  ($101.13 @ Amazon) 
Custom: NBOX Nas Chassis ($149.50)
Total: $647.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-15 17:51 EDT-0400

I think $650 before storage is in a solid place especially compared to non-DIY 10Gbit nas boxes. I have a 10Gb M1 Mac Mini that I'm going to be editing with. Anything you'd change?

//e: Forgot to mention it'll only be 4k footage not anything crazy like red raw 8k or something like that.

Single stick of RAM? - No dual channel.

2400MHz RAM? - Ryzen really likes faster RAM (like 3200MHz)
Only 4GB of RAM? FreeNAS recommends a minimum of 8. Even if you end up using a different OS it would still be a good idea to have more.
200$ mobo? - You can get solid Micro B550 B450 for ~100$ (edited for typo, thanks @YoungBlade)

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

1 minute ago, Biohazard777 said:

Single stick of RAM? - No dual channel.

2400MHz RAM? - Ryzen really likes faster RAM (like 3200MHz)
Only 4GB of RAM? FreeNAS recommends a minimum of 8. Even if you end up using a different OS on it would still be a good idea to have more.
200$ mobo? - You can get solid Micro B550 for ~100$

The work isn't being done on the nas. The only thing it's doing is holding the files I edit as well as personal cloud storage, neither of which are ram intense activities, so having dual channel wouldn't do much of anything really. Faster ram wouldn't change anything either.

OS is going to be unRaid, & for a simple nas that's just a nas it's plenty. I have a separate media box that does all the heavy lifting with more ram.

The motherboard I don't have a choice because it's the cheapest AM4 mATX board with 8 sata slots for the 8 disk slots on the case. Believe me if I didn't have to I wouldn't. Everything else is well over $200.

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

B550 is incompatible with the 3200G

Indeed, thanks for catching that, edited my post. B450

^ not a crypto wallet

4 minutes ago, dvnwllms said:

The work isn't being done on the nas. The only thing it's doing is holding the files I edit as well as personal cloud storage, neither of which are ram intense activities, so having dual channel wouldn't do much of anything really. Faster ram wouldn't change anything either.

The speed of the RAM isn't that important, but the amount of RAM can make a difference during file transfers, because the RAM will act like a cache. Considering that a 2x4GB kit of DDR4-2400 only costs $13 more, I don't see why you'd want to skimp so much there.

13 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The speed of the RAM isn't that important, but the amount of RAM can make a difference during file transfers, because the RAM will act like a cache. Considering that a 2x4GB kit of DDR4-2400 only costs $13 more, I don't see why you'd want to skimp so much there.

@  7:15 - He & I are going to have the exact same use case. If he can't even saturate 4GB there's zero benefit to having a buffer I'll never use. Unused ram is wasted ram after all.

I suppose I really should've asked if the 10Gbit nic was good since I'm pretty much locked on the other choices. Considered going headless with a 3300 but I'm still stuck with that expensive mobo either way 😕

1 hour ago, dvnwllms said:

OS is going to be unRaid, & for a simple nas that's just a nas it's plenty. I have a separate media box that does all the heavy lifting with more ram.

The motherboard I don't have a choice because it's the cheapest AM4 mATX board with 8 sata slots for the 8 disk slots on the case. Believe me if I didn't have to I wouldn't. Everything else is well over $200.

For 6 SATA ports you could find a lot of Micro ATX options in the 80-100$ range.
But if you already chose to have 8, then yeah close to 200$ it is.
As for RAM, well if you have no plans for it than to be a dumb storage box, then true, not much point spending more on it.

32 minutes ago, dvnwllms said:

I suppose I really should've asked if the 10Gbit nic was good since I'm pretty much locked on the other choices. Considered going headless with a 3300 but I'm still stuck with that expensive mobo either way 😕

Don't own one, so can only forward what I've read: overall good reviews, cheapest consumer 10 gig you can find.

^ not a crypto wallet

• 5 months later...

Really 4GB of RAM is too little. You will start to feel uncomfortable the first time you use this system. File transfer speed in video editing is essential because it directly affects your time rendering and editing your videos. Think about buying at least 8 GB RAM, or better yet, 16 GB. My computer has two 8 GB RAM cards, and I don't have enough of it because I'm streaming on Twitch. For video editing, I use this application joincombo.com. It's pretty simple, but even with it, I feel that soon I will have to think about adding some RAM. I advise you to think about it.