RAM Upgrade for b550 MSI Mortar Wifi with 3800x

Hi All

I have been looking for a good match of ram for this board and CPU but it seems that the MSI compatibility list doesn't line up very well with the QVL for Ryzen 3000 series. I was wondering if anyone can advise or share their experience. I'm based in Ireland and usually buy via amazon.de or amazon.nl so feel free to share some links if you spot something that works on your buying travels. Currently Im looking at getting:

F4-4000C15Q-32GTZR (2x8GB MSI: says it works) - Samsung 5WB: This one has been tricky to find online

or

BLM16G44C19U4B.M8FB1 (2x16GB: MSI says it works) - Micron B: This one has been tricky to find online

The problem is it doesn't seem to be on the QVL on the AMD site or pangoly.com. Any advice is appreciated. Appreciate the help with this. Once I get this sorted - just need to wait for prices to drop for 3080/3080ti 😅.

FYI I'm currently running GSkill 2666mhz CL15 that is OC to 2800mhz CL14. Can get it to 2933 but CL goes to 16. Don't know what's wrong with the FSB:RAM since I have the BIOS manually set to fclk 1400 and dram 2800 - both CPU-z and hwinfo report is as not 1:1

image.png.68411af0f0f910e570cb0937451175db.png

FYI Comparison Links I'm using:

MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

Compatible Memory with MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI - Pangoly

Ryzen-Compatible Memory | Supports AMD Ryzen 3000 and higher | AMD

Bump. Can anyone advise? Would really appreciate it if you don't mind 🙂

Well contact MSI support,we are not magicians here,it might work well it might not.
Buying RAM which is not on QVL list is 50/50 chance it might work okay.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

I was just asking in case anyone here has the same board and done a RAM upgrade - therefore they could share their experience. Plus this is my first Ryzen system so didn't have to deal with QVL related issues regarding my previous intel rig.

You know @frozensun, usually there's never any harm in asking a question

Wasn't looking for some magic tricks, but if you have any - do share! 🤔🤣🤣😂

7 hours ago, frozensun said:

Well contact MSI support,we are not magicians here,it might work well it might not.
Buying RAM which is not on QVL list is 50/50 chance it might work okay.

I'd put the odds higher at like 90/10. It's pretty rare that RAM doesn't work. You may not hit ultra high speeds, but it tends to just work regarless of QVL.

48 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I'd put the odds higher at like 90/10. It's pretty rare that RAM doesn't work. You may not hit ultra high speeds, but it tends to just work regarless of QVL.

Just wanted to ask a follow on question if I may if you know - do you find Ryzen 3000 series generally handles a 4 x 8gb ram configuration or 2 x 16gb ram configuration better / differently may I ask or its truly motherboard specific?

I was researching my board and I found the following:

1 dimm per channel 1 rank - 4400mhz

1 dimm per channel 2 rank - 3733mhz (already under what zen3 can benefit from)

2 dimm per channel 1 rank - 3866mhz

2 dimm per channel 2 rank - 3466mhz (under what zen 2 can benefit from).

Ref: MSI MAG B550M Mortar memory limitations : buildapc (reddit.com)

I went with F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (seems good for OC as well) so thanks a mill for the advice folks. 😁