Rant time. Ubuntu 20.10 HP envy x360 (the one Linus reviewed)

OK so my laptop seems to be suffering for a while now from performance issues and it is pretty much felt in any work load, but here's the top.
i recorded a video on OBS, 22 Minutes long of a chrome browser (1 tab) and a camera(using DroidX,using my phone camera). nothing else open.
at the end of the recording i clicked on "stop" OBS popped a "wait/force quit" message, i clicked on "wait" because i didn't want to lose the recording and the computer then completely froze, 10 minutes later i was just booted to terminal, had to force reset the laptop, and came to find out, no audio on the video, for a 22 minutes video.

i tried installing some monitor to check for thermals, see if anything is thermal throttle or causing too much heat but cant seem to do that in Linux with an AMD CPU.

notes:
1.the laptop fans were screaming throughout the recording.
2.the laptop was upgraded to 32GB crucial ram
3.the SSD was upgraded to a 2 TB Sabrent rocket

26 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Do you know what the temps are? Open Speccy and check, it also may be worth taking the laptop apart and giving it a nice blow.

I used HardInfo (which is a miracle because many times before i tried finding a program that will work with Ubuntu and give me temperature reads) and my CPU shot to 90C When recording and started going through pages of a website on Chrome. idle 56-70C

10 minutes ago, ShayOh said:

I used HardInfo (which is a miracle because many times before i tried finding a program that will work with Ubuntu and give me temperature reads) and my CPU shot to 90C When recording and started going through pages of a website on Chrome. idle 56-70C

Ooh... that competes with my AMD FX-9000 laptop that immediately hits 85 when you open an Edge window!

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Ooh... that competes with my AMD FX-9000 laptop that immediately hits 85 when you open an Edge window!

I used compressed air (again, as i did a few weeks/months ago also) i will try now but it more and more feels like either the browsers or Linux or design flaw of the laptop.

What settings where you using in OBS? Sounds to me like OBS was configured to be a little too heavy for the system. Or chrome was demanding some CPU for a heavy task.

Really sounds like a hardware issue. Did you try repasting your CPU? I would start with that.

On the software side, try this after every reboot:

echo powersave | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor