Extremely slow downloads, with (relatively) lightning fast uploads - A Connection Conundrum

ltkel7

Hello all. Have I got the mystery for you!

I'm trying a new internet provider that uses 4G-LTE networks to provide its services. The provider is Nomad Internet using T-Mobiles network.

As the title says, I'm experiencing slow speeds (~600 Kbps) download speeds, with fast (~20 Mbps) upload speeds. What is most strange is that speedtest.com shows 20-30 Mbps for both download and upload, while testmy.net gives me the numbers with the huge disparity. This disparity is pretty clear with regular browsing on popular websites.

Nomads support has yet to get back to me on this, so I've been doing as much troubleshooting as I can think of. The issue is consistent with every one of my devices both wired and wireless. I've tried doing a factory reset, changing the DNS server to Googles. I even tried blowing on the SIM card slot, N64 style. I feel I've run out of things to try. The most vexing part is that it was working perfectly on Wednesday!

I should also mention I have not being doing anything uncouth with the service. No torrenting, no piracy of any kind. Nothing that would draw the ire of the T-Mobile or Nomad overlords.

Any Ideas?

38 minutes ago, ltkel7 said:

testmy.net

This site isn't accurate because my speed is showing 15 Mbps while on Speedtest.net is 49~50 Mbps (which is my package).

And i am able to download at my 50 Mbps speed i.e. 6.25 MB/s

So, that site isn't all that great.

The download and upload speed also depends upon from where are you downloading, maybe they have limited your download speed or the site may be experiencing higher load usage than normal.

Personally on my browser i get 300 KB/s on downloads while everything else works fine but when i use IDM and download that same file from that same link i get around 5 MB/s.

Spoiler

Thats why i have switched my browser back to Chrome because Edge dont provide as much speed as chrome.

14 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

This site isn't accurate because my speed is showing 15 Mbps while on Speedtest.net is 49~50 Mbps (which is my package).

And i am able to download at my 50 Mbps speed i.e. 6.25 MB/s

So, that site isn't all that great.

The reason I'm absolutely certain of the accuracy of the results, is because I am testing it against a DSL line that I have for my home. The DSL speeds from every one of the sites I have tried are perfectly consistent. Even downloading a file on multiple browsers, or on Steam reflect the accuracy of the numbers in my post. The only anomaly I have found is with speed tests based on Ooklas service, and only then with the 4G service from Nomad. Ookla is perfectly accurate with my DSL service.

I'm thinking there is something fishy going on with Nomad / T-Mobile who may be deliberately throttling me, or that there is a DNS issue. But I'm hoping someone here may know of a way to confirm it, or if there is something else I can try.

1 hour ago, ltkel7 said:

Im thinking there is something fishy going on with Nomad / T-Mobile who may be deliberately throttling me, or that there is a DNS issue. But I'm hoping someone here may know of a way to confirm it, or if there is something else I can try.

As ISP knows everything what you are doing on your browser or when using their services. So, maybe your ISP is restricting your download speed on specific apps or sites.

Try using the fastest DNS on the planet.

It even has built in VPN (USA,  and i think its fixed to that location) (but you have the option, whether only to uses DNS or DNS with Warp). It promises to keep your connection private; which it does. 

Only the downside for me for using both is increased latency timings (because i live in Asia) , but their is no compromise on speed whats-so-ever.

Try using one or both options.

https://1.1.1.1/    (Available for all platforms) (Will Highly recommend)

But currently i am using only DNS because of latency timings.

575227348_Screenshot2021-07-04175528.png.966ff19b8016a19690ebc647ef08a3ff.png

WARP is a kind of VPN, but it has fixed Geo Location.

7 hours ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Try using one or both options.

https://1.1.1.1/    (Available for all platforms) (Will Highly recommend)

I switched my router DNS to Cloudflares with no change in speeds. After trying their Warp app on my phone, the connection was even slower. Does this confirm it's an issue with my DNS or does it exclude it?

10 hours ago, ltkel7 said:

I switched my router DNS to Cloudflares with no change in speeds. After trying their Warp app on my phone, the connection was even slower. Does this confirm it's an issue with my DNS or does it exclude it?

You don't have to change it in your router. 

Just download the application for which ever device you got, and run it with only DNS and secondly run it with both DNS + WARP.

I have tried it on my PC, Ping is high with warp but speed is same as before.

And by using their DNS, there is a noticeable difference in my side, but don't know about  you.

2 hours ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Just download the application for which ever device you got, and run it with only DNS and secondly run it with both DNS + WARP.

I returned the router DNS settings to their default, and tried it with just the app, and still got the same results. Ping has neve been an issue for me. Even with the slow speed, latency has been low. I think the issue has nothing to do with DNS.