PC boots up at the repair shop but doesnt at home

Ibaqu
Go to solution Solved by Ibaqu,

Another update. 

Took the PC with the new PSU to a friends place and gave it a try, but it didnt start up. 

Decided to pay the repair shop another visit. They insist that it runs fine. Sure enough, we plug it in, and it works perfectly. Almost as if nothing is wrong. Came back home and it still doesnt start. 

So from what they are suggesting, Ill need to buy a new motherboard or send the existing one for repairs. And if even that doesnt work, it has to be the wiring,,, would have to call an electrician. 

Specs
Processor       :  AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard  :  ASUS B450 Plus
RAM               :  16 (8 X 2) Corsair Vengeance
GPU               :  SAPPHIRE RX580
PSU               :  Gamdias Astrape M1 550W

PC has been working perfectly fine for 2 years until it recently refused to boot up. The motherboard LED lights turn on but pressing the powerbutton does nothing. Fans dont spin. Just sits there. 

Tested the powersupply by shorting the green wires with a fan connected, and its started up so I assumed the problem was with the motherboard. But when I sent it to the shop, they called back saying it boots up to the windows screen and that you can come and collect it at no charge. Tried it back at home and it still didnt boot up. Tried different sockets all around the house as well to no avail. 

I have yet to test it at a friends place to see if there could be a problem with at my place. If not, I can only assume that its a problem with the clearly low tier PSU. 
Additionally this issue seems to have occured around the time it started raining so Im not sure if humidity plays a role in this. But its not like it has'nt rained before so...

Has anyone experienced such a problem? What options do I have moving forward? Buy a better PSU and try my luck?

You could also test your PSU cable, cheap ones tend to make bad contact so the PSU isn't really connected... Try using a different one if you have another laying around.

Do you have a multimeter? You can check if the cable works using one (please be cautious and/or don't do this if you have no idea XD)

It would be weird for your electricity to be so dirty that the PSU refuses to work, in any case, you can try using a UPS to filter out the nasty stuff and help out the clearly low tier PSU.

Finally, yes, a new PSU would probably help.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

22 minutes ago, Xaring said:

You could also test your PSU cable, cheap ones tend to make bad contact so the PSU isn't really connected... Try using a different one if you have another laying around.

Do you have a multimeter? You can check if the cable works using one (please be cautious and/or don't do this if you have no idea XD)

It would be weird for your electricity to be so dirty that the PSU refuses to work, in any case, you can try using a UPS to filter out the nasty stuff and help out the clearly low tier PSU.

Finally, yes, a new PSU would probably help.

Yes. Its quite a mystery since Ive been using a UPS and Ive never encountered this problem before this. Unfortunately I dont have a multimeter lying around so I cant test the cable. 

In the end I suppose I will have to try my luck with a new PSU. Im just worried that once I do try out the new PSU that it wont work as well. 

Few things you coud check:

Plug in the pc directly to the wall, to exclude the UPS as an issue.

Take off the front panel connector and short the power pins with a key or whatever on the mobo. This to exclude a faulty power button on your case.

Take off and reconnect the power cables from pc parts and the PSU. This to exclude some random lose cable during shipping. Check fan connectors too to be sure.

Can you remove the GPU and attempt to boot? This to exclude that the pc overdraws power form the psu, resulting in the psu cutting power during boot.

Finally use another power cable between psu and the wall. You can usually find the voltage and rated amps on the cables, so you can exchange it safely.

Hope it helps!

If nothing of that works, a replacement for the PSU is the next test.

If that doesnt fix it... No clue how to shop got it working, because then the mobo is next on my list of suspicions...

Ok. An update to this thread. None of the tests I ran seemed to work

Tried the following. None of them showed any difference : 

- Plugged in the PC directly to the outlet without the UPS. 

- Tried shorting the Power pins
- Removed the GPU. No other peripherals are connected anyway. Still no change

Decided that the PSU might be faulty and bought a Corsair CV550 to replace the existing Gamdidias Astrape 550. Amazingly it doesnt work. Feels pretty disappointing ngl. But it doesnt matter since ive been told that the old one was a risk anyway. 

As I write this Im sitting in a room with a dehumidifier hoping that would make a difference. idk. Seems pretty hopeless at this point. 

Another update. 

Took the PC with the new PSU to a friends place and gave it a try, but it didnt start up. 

Decided to pay the repair shop another visit. They insist that it runs fine. Sure enough, we plug it in, and it works perfectly. Almost as if nothing is wrong. Came back home and it still doesnt start. 

So from what they are suggesting, Ill need to buy a new motherboard or send the existing one for repairs. And if even that doesnt work, it has to be the wiring,,, would have to call an electrician. 

• 2 years later...

So what happened with that case did it ever worked cus im facing similar case rn 

• 4 weeks later...

Heyy ,I'm currently facing exactly the same issue,  pls help

Edited by theVIZ

Heyy ,I'm currently facing exactly the same issue,  i checked the psu with new one ,still not working. Send the motherboard for claiming warranty but they send it back saying it's perfectly fine . The repair shop turned it on for a whole day and there were no issues . I can't find any logic in this mess

I even took the PC to my neighbours and friends home to test it .but still not working . (Wiring in my home is completely new )

PC - asus prime B550M motherboard, RYZEN 7 5700G (graphics build-in), 16 GB Ram x 1, 500 GB ssd

On 10/13/2023 at 9:46 PM, theVIZ said:

Heyy ,I'm currently facing exactly the same issue,  i checked the psu with new one ,still not working. Send the motherboard for claiming warranty but they send it back saying it's perfectly fine . The repair shop turned it on for a whole day and there were no issues . I can't find any logic in this mess

I even took the PC to my neighbours and friends home to test it .but still not working . (Wiring in my home is completely new )

PC - asus prime B550M motherboard, RYZEN 7 5700G (graphics build-in), 16 GB Ram x 1, 500 GB ssd

Same issue bro today itself i collected motherboard from service center after the 1 week of time it works perfectly in service center and pc repair shop but it's not turning on in my home and my neighbour house I don't know what's happening I can't figure it out what's the issue please somebody help to get rid of this issue

Pc spec:

Amd 5600G

Xpg ram 8*2=16GB

Gigabyte b450m motherboard

Ant esports psu 450W

Wd blue 500GB