LG 27GL850

Keiran1983

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting the above monitor (LG 27GL850) at SGD $699.00 in Singapore.  I intend to pair it with a EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.  Will be gaming on 1440p @ 27 inch.

Any one who has any complains on the monitor or is there any other counter-recommendations to my selection?

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Hey you got a point.

I think in Singapore, they bring in the 27GP850 instead.  Maybe that is the better choice.

Anyone has the 27GP850?

Hey you got a point.

I think in Singapore, they bring in the 27GP850 instead.  Maybe that is the better choice.

Anyone has the 27GP850?

3 minutes ago, Keiran1983 said:

Hey you got a point.

Anyone has the 27GP850?

It's quite a new model, so there might be no new owner in the forums, but reviews do praise it.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2251-lg-27gp850/

https://www.displayninja.com/lg-27gp850-review/ 

etc

I edit my posts more often than not

The 27GP850 is a newer version that is marginally better than the 27GL850 in most things. If they're roughly at the same price, get the GP.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

The 27GP850 is a newer version that is marginally better than the 27GL850 in most things. If they're roughly at the same price, get the GP.

Well, resonse times are about 20-25% better, refresh rate is a tad higher, consumed W are lower and some things here and there.

I see....

Thanks for the inputs.  really appreciate it.  🙂

What about the LG 32GP850-B monitor?  Does the 1440p resolution holding it back?

Edit: Have not found a decent review yet.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Edit: Have not found a decent review yet.

Hardware Unboxed has a review of the GP.

7 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Well, resonse times are about 20-25% better, refresh rate is a tad higher, consumed W are lower and some things here and there.

Careful throwing around these numbers. 20-25% sounds like a huge margin, but we're talking about maybe 3 vs 4 ms (GtG) here. That's not something the end user will notice with the additional input lag introduced by the whole chain between mouse input and display output. Realistically both monitors are good. And the GP is only worth it if it's marginally more expensive or roughly the same price. I wouldn't get ot over the GL for $150 more for example.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Keiran1983 said:

I see....

Thanks for the inputs.  really appreciate it.  🙂

What about the LG 32GP850-B monitor?  Does the 1440p resolution holding it back?

That depends. Pixel density is lower. It's around the same sharpness as a 1080p 24" monitor. For me it wouldn't be enough as a main monitor.

@Stahlmannwell, if I read the article correctly these are the numbers in this review:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2251-lg-27gp850/

Also worth mentioning that Giagbyte M27Q numbers are considerably worse there.

image.png.259f067746918d3726d7edeb6605e3d8.png

Yeah it's around 1ms of difference in raw GtG. What i said. In the end both monitors are fast enough for their respective refresh rate, which is most important. My point still stands. Only get the GP over the GL/GN if the price climb isn't too steep, as most of it's improvements are just marginal.

That's also the reason why LG tried to keep the GL model comparison out of the GP reviews. (The recent drama about them trying to control media)

They don't want people to see that the GL still is such good value and they want to avoid the GL/GN cutting into the sales of newer models.

34 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

That depends. Pixel density is lower. It's around the same sharpness as a 1080p 24" monitor. For me it wouldn't be enough as a main monitor.

I see.  Let me see if I understand you correctly.  The PPI is also important.  The sweet spot for 27 inch monitors is currently at 1440p.  With 27 monitors and 1080p, we can see the individual pixels?

Will this occur with the LG 32GP850-B monitor & the 1440p resolution?

6 minutes ago, Keiran1983 said:

I see.  Let me see if I understand you correctly.  The PPI is also important.  The sweet spot for 27 inch monitors is currently at 1440p.  With 27 monitors and 1080p, we can see the individual pixels?

Will this occur with the LG 32GP850-B monitor & the 1440p resolution?

That depends on how close you are to your monitor and how good your eyesight is. A 32" 1440p display has the same pixel size as a 24" 1080p. So a 27" 1440p will be sharper than both. And 27"-28" is the sweet spot for 1440p imo.

I have a 24" 1080p as a 2nd screen and i can make out the pixels when it comes to reading text. So i would want something sharper as a main monitor myself.

13 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

That depends on how close you are to your monitor and how good your eyesight is. A 32" 1440p display has the same pixel size as a 24" 1080p. So a 27" 1440p will be sharper than both. And 27"-28" is the sweet spot for 1440p imo.

I have a 24" 1080p as a 2nd screen and i can make out the pixels when it comes to reading text. So i would want something sharper as a main monitor myself.

I see.  That makes sense to me.  Resolution of 1440p for the 27 Inch there.  Was really pondering if my GPU can last that long if I went the 4K route and 32 Inch monitors.....