Building OLD computers

2 hours ago, Beep or Boop said:

So I just got back to talking with my Uncle and he said that he is wanting something either brand new. Which means either I get a pre built, and add some add in cards for the parallel/serial/Ethernet ports he wants. Or build it from scratch. Wish I could of just went with the Optiplex lol

Meh, whatever he wants I guess. He'll be getting a far worse value out of a $350 brand new office computer than a $50 Core 2 Duo OptiPlex, but that doesn't seem of concern... ha.

So, if we're going this route, it's probably smart to build it from scratch. Most brand new OEM machines are going to either be expensive or offer little in the way of expansion, which is not what we want. I'll go and see what I can find.

About the case - what kind of form factor are we looking for? ATX/mid-tower? Mini tower/Micro ATX? Mini PC/Mini-ITX?

A mini tower would be the cheapest option more than likely.

1 hour ago, Beep or Boop said:

At this point. Would it just be worth to get a socket 1155 motherboard. And just get 3 add on cards? For 1 extra Ethernet, 2 serial, and 1 parallel?

Was looking at this mobo. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813131823

This is a really old platform, and it's too expensive for what it is, frankly. And your uncle does want something brand new, if we're looking for a brand new CPU for a Z77 platform, that's not gonna be cheap or even potentially available brand new.

Was thinking we go Comet Lake and grab a cheap motherboard, just add some expansion cards to it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/78cGCz

Put this together. The motherboard has 4 expansion slots, allowing for a parallel card, a serial card, an ethernet card, and a video card in the future if needed.