Laptop for sotware developer

Most of the benchmarks i read about are focused on gaming, video-editing or content creating. But what about all those developers creating kick-ass financial, database oriented application. They could use a high-end machine to there bidding. So what benchmark really shows off the code compilation, well the main question is what the best laptop / prebuilt for a developer?

My reason for this question is every 4 to 5 years we get a budget of around 2000 dollars to buy a new laptop. 

Company policy is: if you do the research and buy the best machine you see fit. The company gets a happy employee.

So my current machine an Asus n752vx a i7, 32 gig, 2tb laptop which is kept together with duct tape. Laptop is 5 years old so it's time to do the research.

The things that matter most to software development are primarily cores/threads (as many as you can get) and cache (more the better). I'd try to get something with a Ryzen 5800HS or better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 hours ago, Mr.Nicen said:

Most of the benchmarks i read about are focused on gaming, video-editing or content creating. But what about all those developers creating kick-ass financial, database oriented application. They could use a high-end machine to there bidding. So what benchmark really shows off the code compilation, well the main question is what the best laptop / prebuilt for a developer?

My reason for this question is every 4 to 5 years we get a budget of around 2000 dollars to buy a new laptop. 

Company policy is: if you do the research and buy the best machine you see fit. The company gets a happy employee.

So my current machine an Asus n752vx a i7, 32 gig, 2tb laptop which is kept together with duct tape. Laptop is 5 years old so it's time to do the research.

That's still a really capable system, one thing that may help improve performance/responsiveness significantly would be to add an SSD (I am thinking that you're most likely running on a HDD because 2TB SSDs are still really expensive today and would likely have been more a few years back). If you need a lot of storage, consider an external HDD or NAS, or use dual storage drives if your laptop supports it (put the OS and commonly used programs on the SSD, large files and less often used programs on the HDD).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

@boomwebsearch It is indeed, in a next life it will be the sold as homework laptop.

Current disks are:

Disk 1 Samsung 970 EVO (NVME) (boot primary drive)
Disk 2 HGST HTS541010A9E680 Storage Mainly empty space is used to store research results

The cpu an Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) is beginning to be the real bottle neck. But also setting up a complete development station will take 8 to 14 hours so investing the time in a new laptop is better spent then reviving a 5 year old system.

I started looking at a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH6 (82L5008CMH) cpu is a 5900x 

• 7 months later...

Hi i bought the Lenovo pro 7, way to expensive but it's a complete monster. Fast compile times next step is kicking windows and installing linux.

good to hear you found something, i was gonna recommend apple m1 (as based on feedback from my dev friends, with the feedback "it's epic") but i actually don't like apple so good for you.

cheers.

On 6/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, Mr.Nicen said:

What platforms would you be developing for?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a developer at small company (20 employees), we develop a web based Java / Ember application for care homes. Where located in Netherlands.