Loud New Hard Drives?

mkessler9

Hey Everyone, 

I decided to get a two bay synology NAS recently in order to give myself better backup/redundancy. I've been running Into HDD issues though. 

I originally ordered Seagate Ironwolf 10tb drives, and there were LOUD. like louder than a 2005 hard drive, and made significant thuds that I could hear downstairs. So I RMA'd them and just got WD Red 8tb drives. The reds are quieter than the Ironwolfs by a good bit, but I can still hear them pretty well when their writing. As I type this I hear them thudding through the floor upstairs. I've never had hard drives this loud. The only time I can hear my year old wd black 2tb is if I put my ear right up to it, same with my 4tb wd blue. What's going on with these reds?? Synologys software said these and the Ironwolfs were healthy. So what gives with them being so loud?? 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

3 minutes ago, mkessler9 said:

Hey Everyone, 

I decided to get a two bay synology NAS recently in order to give myself better backup/redundancy. I've been running Into HDD issues though. 

I originally ordered Seagate Ironwolf 10tb drives, and there were LOUD. like louder than a 2005 hard drive, and made significant thuds that I could hear downstairs. So I RMA'd them and just got WD Red 8tb drives. The reds are quieter than the Ironwolfs by a good bit, but I can still hear them pretty well when their writing. As I type this I hear them thudding through the floor upstairs. I've never had hard drives this loud. The only time I can hear my year old wd black 2tb is if I put my ear right up to it, same with my 4tb wd blue. What's going on with these reds?? Synologys software said these and the Ironwolfs were healthy. So what gives with them being so loud?? 

Early drives weren’t just loud they made rather particular noises. Are you hearing those kinds of noises or different noises?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Early drives weren’t just loud they made rather particular noises. Are you hearing those kinds of noises or different noises?

The Ironwolfs idk... I'd say the reds sound like a normal early 2000s loud HDD's. Doesn't sound like Anythings wrong, just way louder than my other modern hard drives. 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor