Linux mint

I want to setup Linux mint on my computer . I watch some tutorial in YouTube. I saw that when they are installing Linux mint they are delete ing the entire HDD . I have 4 Drive on my HDD. I want to install Linux mint on my C Drive.Can I install Linux mint without deleting the Data of the other drive ?

You have 4 partitions on your HDD? If so, you can go ahead and install on the partition, and Mint shouldn't touch the other partitions. Could you explain your partitioning/drives a bit better?

"Coding skill isn’t about knowing how to make things; It’s about being able to find the right Stack Overflow code to copy paste."

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Yes, but since you are just starting out I strongly suggest you back that data up to an external drive, wipe the HDD clean, install Linux and then move the files back from the externa dive. 3 reasons:

1) No chance of screwing something up during the install process and losing data.
2) Partition table you are currently using could be MBR and you should switch to GPT (a lot more robust).

3) The partitions you are using now, again guessing, are NTFS and you would ideally want them to be EXT4 (slightly faster on Linux, handles fragmentation better etc.).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

1 hour ago, Biohazard777 said:

you would ideally want them to be EXT4 (slightly faster on Linux, handles fragmentation better etc.

I would have to disagree with you here, I'd rather go for BTRFS

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

13 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

would have to disagree with you here, I'd rather go for BTRFS

Perhaps, both have pros and cons. Ext4 is old and reliable, has journaling support and thus handles power loss / kernel panics better (main reason I still recommend Ext4 for most people). Btrfs has some handy new features baked in like snapshots, FS level compression and copy on write support. Btrfs also supports orders of magnitude (EiB vs TiB) larger partitions and file sizes, but that is irrelevant for most users for now.
Either way he should move away from NTFS unless he really needs it (like an external drive that he is planning to carry around and to plug into Windows machines that he doesn't own, where he can't add support for Ext4 or Btrfs).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

On 6/9/2021 at 2:00 AM, J-from-Nucleon said:

I would have to disagree with you here, I'd rather go for BTRFS

As much of a fan of btrfs as I am, I would not recommend a novice to use it since a novice might not lookup the tools to learn when the inevitable disk error occurs.