Thermal pads needed to upgrade the cooling of a 3080 TI FE?

Calabask

Hey folks, managed to get one of these things and finally end my long drawn out GPU hunt, people have said I should replace the pads, but I'm unsure of the thickness I need, or what is used to remove, I guess I would say adhesive from what would be the old pads. Also, what sort of tool should I use to unplug and replug in the small cables. Any advice would be awesome!

I don't have an answer to this as I am curious about this as well. I'm planning on putting a water block on it (probably Alphacool's as that's the only one I can find in stock and it's a reasonable price) so I'm mainly concerned about the pads on the back.

I fitted 2mm pads on the front and back of the vrams but think they are slightly too thick. I then did stretch them out a bit but my temps still seem a little high so I've got some 1.5mm ones to try tonight (all pads thermalgrizzly). For the cables you should be able to just use finger nails (need to be careful with tweezers). I use sellotape to get the magnetic covers off the screws.

What sort of temperatures are you seeing?

• 2 weeks later...

I follow this youtuber's guide and got great results.

Playing Call Of Duty Cold War Zombies on Outbreak for a few hours my Memory temps would stay at 84 C.

GPU: 62 C

Memory: 84 C

Hot Spot: 72 C

Playing for a few hours now after the mod, I get 68 C.

GPU: 58 C

Memory: 68 C

Hot Spot: 68 C

I hope this works for you. I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of the thermal paste he used.

Fractal Torrent / Asus ROG Maximum XII Hero (Wi-Fi) / i9-10900k / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black/ Noctua NT-H1/ Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 3200MHz CL16 / Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC/ LG C1 OLED 48"/2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB/ Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB / 1 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD / EVGA 1200 Supernova PSU