New Build Advice

Hello I am looking to build a PC, but to be honest I don't know much about them especially GPU's. I am looking for the build to cost around 1500 USD but I understand that is a little cheap and am willing to go to about 1800. The PC will be used mainly for gaming so good specs would be preferred over RGB and bragging rights.

The set up I have so far is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x43GTJ

I would like some tips on how to improve it without spending too much extra money. I would also like some opinion on the GPU, I know there is a shortage as of now but I would like it to have good performance and be accessible (in terms of trying to buy it). For example, the rtx 3080 ti is a great graphics card but is sold out everywhere and is almost impossible to find (this is an example of one not being accessible).

Thanks for your help.

didnt add a GPU because i refuse too add an RTX 2060 for 800.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $765.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-03 11:29 EDT-0400

Your original case sucked, PSU was overpriced, SSD was overpriced and overkill, and you may aswell should just get a 5600x instead.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

16 minutes ago, Downkey said:

didnt add a GPU because i refuse too add an RTX 2060 for 800.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $765.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-03 11:29 EDT-0400

Your original case sucked, PSU was overpriced, SSD was overpriced and overkill, and you may aswell should just get a 5600x instead.

I don't know much about computer specs so these may be some stupid questions...

CPU: Does the 0.1 GHz increase in Ryzen 5 core clock really make it better than Ryzen 7 with an 8 cores? The prices are about the same so I want to make sure I am getting the better CPU.

SSD: The Samsung SSD I picked out was more expensive by about $30 and has 512 MB Cache. But your recommendation does not list any Cache. Will this make a significant performance difference that may be worth paying an addition $30.

GPU: Once again I have no knowledge of GPU's what so ever do you have any recommendations? (it does not have to be the RTX 2060)

12 minutes ago, Mr_Penguin321 said:

Hello I am looking to build a PC, but to be honest I don't know much about them especially GPU's. I am looking for the build to cost around 1500 USD but I understand that is a little cheap and am willing to go to about 1800. The PC will be used mainly for gaming so good specs would be preferred over RGB and bragging rights.

The set up I have so far is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x43GTJ

I would like some tips on how to improve it without spending too much extra money. I would also like some opinion on the GPU, I know there is a shortage as of now but I would like it to have good performance and be accessible (in terms of trying to buy it). For example, the rtx 3080 ti is a great graphics card but is sold out everywhere and is almost impossible to find (this is an example of one not being accessible).

Thanks for your help.

Normally, I would say that this is a great list. However, the MSRP of the 2060 is around $350 USD, so the 2060 you added is around $500 over MSRP. Yes, you are right the shortage is terrible, and therefore I would give you a 0.01% chance of getting a 30 series or 6000 series GPU. I was lucky enough to get a 3060 ti after 2 weeks of constant refreshing and waiting. However, desperate times call for desperate measures, so I think that its ok to spend $800 for a 2060 if you really want a new GPU/PC, and you have the money to spend. Of course, I would recommend getting something like a 1650 Super for ~$500 for now, and using it until you can get a different card for a better price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fJ3GTJ - this list uses a 2060

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RjFLRT - this list uses a 1650 Super

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PmsQW3 - this list uses an RX580 (similar performance to the 1650 Super)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M2d2cT - this list uses the 3700x with a 2060

The list I made is fine, I added a lot more storage. However, if you want to save ~$55, you could cut the 2TB HDD.

The other differences are as follows:

Better CPU( you CAN100% use the 3700x if you want, and then you wont have to buy a cooler, the 3700x comes with a great cooler)

Better looking cooler (IMO)

Better mobo

RGB RAM (can cut this to save ~$25)

512GB M.2 SSD + 2TB HDD

Different GPUs depending on lists.

Much better case(worth the extra $30 if you ask me)

Same PSU

Sorry if this is a lot of information at once! Feel free to ask any questions! 🙂 

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

7 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Normally, I would say that this is a great list. However, the MSRP of the 2060 is around $350 USD, so the 2060 you added is around $500 over MSRP. Yes, you are right the shortage is terrible, and therefore I would give you a 0.01% chance of getting a 30 series or 6000 series GPU. I was lucky enough to get a 3060 ti after 2 weeks of constant refreshing and waiting. However, desperate times call for desperate measures, so I think that its ok to spend $800 for a 2060 if you really want a new GPU/PC, and you have the money to spend. Of course, I would recommend getting something like a 1650 Super for ~$500 for now, and using it until you can get a different card for a better price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fJ3GTJ - this list uses a 2060

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RjFLRT - this list uses a 1650 Super

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PmsQW3 - this list uses an RX580 (similar performance to the 1650 Super)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M2d2cT - this list uses the 3700x with a 2060

The list I made is fine, I added a lot more storage. However, if you want to save ~$55, you could cut the 2TB HDD.

The other differences are as follows:

Better CPU( you CAN100% use the 3700x if you want, and then you wont have to buy a cooler, the 3700x comes with a great cooler)

Better looking cooler (IMO)

Better mobo

RGB RAM (can cut this to save ~$25)

512GB M.2 SSD + 2TB HDD

Different GPUs depending on lists.

Much better case(worth the extra $30 if you ask me)

Same PSU

Sorry if this is a lot of information at once! Feel free to ask any questions! 🙂 

This looks very good and undercuts my price point by a lot. I think I will follow your list for a 1650 Super and use the 3700 CPU, is there any problems with combining these?

Thanks for the amazing explanations.

21 minutes ago, Mr_Penguin321 said:

I don't know much about computer specs so these may be some stupid questions...

CPU: Does the 0.1 GHz increase in Ryzen 5 core clock really make it better than Ryzen 7 with an 8 cores? The prices are about the same so I want to make sure I am getting the better CPU.

SSD: The Samsung SSD I picked out was more expensive by about $30 and has 512 MB Cache. But your recommendation does not list any Cache. Will this make a significant performance difference that may be worth paying an addition $30.

GPU: Once again I have no knowledge of GPU's what so ever do you have any recommendations? (it does not have to be the RTX 2060)

The core clock is just the frequency of the CPU, doesn’t represent the actual speed. The 5600x is around 20% faster than the 3700x in many games. It has much better IPC.

You don’t need the DRAM CACHE, if you really wanted a better SSD get the A80, the Samsung you originally picked out is horrible value and is not needed.

For the GPU, I would strongly recommend not getting something like a 1660 Super. I’d get a used GPU, a Used 1080ti is about as fast as a 3060Ti. Don’t spend 500 - 800 on an RTX 2060, that’s terrible.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Mr_Penguin321 said:

This looks very good and undercuts my price point by a lot. I think I will follow your list for a 1650 Super and use the 3700 CPU, is there any problems with combining these?

Thanks for the amazing explanations.

No problems at all!

The 3700x is a bit too powerful for the 1650 Super, so the 3700x will not be preforming as well as it can, so if you aren't planning on upgrading the CPU anytime soon, I would recommend getting the Ryzen 5 3600 (older version of the 5600x) and get the other cooler along with that HERE is a link to a list that includes the 3600. But if you plan on getting a new GPU once they become available, or upgrading the GPU anytime soon, then get the 3700x.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

43 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

No problems at all!

The 3700x is a bit too powerful for the 1650 Super, so the 3700x will not be preforming as well as it can, so if you aren't planning on upgrading the CPU anytime soon, I would recommend getting the Ryzen 5 3600 (older version of the 5600x) and get the other cooler along with that HERE is a link to a list that includes the 3600. But if you plan on getting a new GPU once they become available, or upgrading the GPU anytime soon, then get the 3700x.

The 3600 isn’t worth it atm, get the 11400f (with a B560 board) instead.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

On 6/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, MarvintheParrot said:

No problems at all!

I ended up getting my hands on a 3060 gpu... this set up would work for it right?

13 minutes ago, Mr_Penguin321 said:

I ended up getting my hands on a 3060 gpu... this set up would work for it right?

Yes! Congratulations!