12gb 1333mhz ram

hd6950

i m trying to troubleshoot my system but i am unable to do so,

it restarts again n again on its own for almost 2-3 hrs

and then becomes stable for use,

this happens every time i start my computer

can someone help me to figure out the problem

thank U :)

Are you overclocked at all? Do you have any Windows updates going when you shut down the PC for the night or something?

I know it's an unlikely issue, but have you scanned your PC at all for any viruses recently? (before the instability started)

my power supply is a cooler master GX750 watt

and i haven't done any kind of overclock, everything is on stock

also i checked it is free from viruses(using avast)

and thanks to all for helping me out :)

Hmm. Perhaps reset the CMOS. You can do this by, either A )Remove the battery on your motherboard for 30 seconds - 1minute and replace it. Or, B ) Use the CLR_CMOS header on your motherboard if you have one.

This is unlikely, but have you checked for any signs of overheating? Any build ups of dust on your CPU cooler?

This is unlikely, but have you checked for any signs of overheating? Any build ups of dust on your CPU cooler?

^ Like virsual19 said, is their any dust on the CPU cooler?

However, when building my brothers computer, the PC would start, and then shut down when it wants to, and then start when it wants too. In fact, the problem lied with the thermal compound, I put too much on. I know this could be unlikely but it could be worth a check. Hope you get it fixed :)

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Avast doesn't always catch every bit of hidden malware, to my experience and knowledge. Try scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and download Microsoft Security Essentials. This would be recommended by the guys at SevenForums. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

I would get Malwarebytes and do a full system scan on it. It could be programs that could be restarting your computer. Try going into safe mode or disable unnecessary programs from startup to see which one is causing this problem.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Either use MSConfig (Start > Run type "msconfig") and select "Startup". Or you could use CCleaner to check the startup items. I recommend also using CCleaner to scan your registry for errors, and fix any issues that may arise during scan. At least these few methods help to narrow down some potential issues.

THANK U ALL FOR UR SUPPORT :)

i think thats unlikely coz i clean my computer every month n remove all the dust accumulation on the graphic card n other coolers/fans

i think thats unlikely coz i clean my computer every month n remove all the dust accumulation on the graphic card n other coolers/fans

Have you checked and replaced the thermal paste? 

Check the contact between the heatsink and CPU, make sure the CPU cooler is on properly.

You should monitor the temps on your computer just to make sure.

Have you checked and replaced the thermal paste? 

Check the contact between the heatsink and CPU, make sure the CPU cooler is on properly.

You should monitor the temps on your computer just to make sure.

ya man the cpu is idealing @ 34c and load temps @ 85c

is it any good

i m right now on a stock cooler right now

Have you tried as "Dave" suggested and reset the CMOS? 

85 sounds a bit high, try changing your thermal paste and maybe clear your cmos

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Have you tried as "Dave" suggested and reset the CMOS? 

i havent cleared the cmos yet but am planning to do it soon

also i had to ask that while clearing the cmos do i have to remove the cpu and memory of i can do it when they are installed ?

thank u for ur reply :)

He shouldn't need to clear his CMOS settings if he hasn't overclocked his CPU. The CMOS would make absolute no difference unless he's overclocked.

He shouldn't need to clear his CMOS settings if he hasn't overclocked his CPU. The CMOS would make absolute no difference unless he's overclocked.

If something in his BIOS has been altered wrongly, clearing CMOS will change it back to default.

The CMOS isn't only for overclocking.   

It sounds to me like you have a "thermal fault" somewhere - most likely the power supply. A thermal fault is an electrical fault that is temperature dependant. In your case, it's a fault that happens when the parts a cool, but stabilizes as things warm up. These faults are usually caused by bad solder joints or micro-cracks in a component.

I'd try a different power supply. You could use almost any power supply just to test it out as long as you don't stress it (if it's lower wattage). But the fault could be on the motherboard or some other component. Back in the day, I would test it by replacing one part after another until I found the bad one, but that's difficult if you don't have the spare parts on hand any more. :)

P.s - Note - a thermal fault is not the same as "overheating". Thermal faults can happen within normal operating temps.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

If something in his BIOS has been altered wrongly, clearing CMOS will change it back to default.

Yes, I know this. But I doubt he has been messing with settings in his CMOS that would make the system unstable. It's a possibility.

i havent cleared the cmos yet but am planning to do it soon

also i had to ask that while clearing the cmos do i have to remove the cpu and memory of i can do it when they are installed ?

thank u for ur reply :)

No, you don't have to remove the memory and CPU. If you have a "Clear CMOS" button on your motherboard, just press that.

True dat!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Yashrocks, if you have no clear CMOS button on your motherboard, enter the BIOS. Most BIOS setups are different.

bios_smart.png

bios_settings01.jpg

Doesn't matter what BIOS setup version you have, you will always have the "Load BIOS Defaults" feature in there, or something similar to that. In some BIOS versions it is named differently, but should have "BIOS Defaults" in the name.

I think it is a software problem , not a hardware problem.

But if it is a hardware problem it should be the System is trying to recognize all the hardwares 1 at one restart.