Black screen after installing gpu

Randomizer23

Hello, backstory, i sold my 1080 back in august and have gotten a used 970 as I cannot stand intel hd graphics anymore. When I went to install the gpu I plugged it in with dp. I turned on my pc and the fans spun so I knew those worked. But nothing is showing up on my screen... it’s just black and my monitor says enter power saving mode. I tried to disable the intel driver in device manager and it didn’t fix it. I’m really worried I bought a dead card here what can I do to fix this?

Have you installed drivers for the 970? Windows drivers should load automatically, but you should try manually installing the Nvidia ones. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

can you see a BIOS screen if not go to the HDMI on the motherboard go into the BIOS make shore PCIE generation is on 3.0 if it is go to windows safe mode with networking and run DDU

On 5/30/2021 at 9:26 PM, Linus No Beard said:

can you see a BIOS screen if not go to the HDMI on the motherboard go into the BIOS make shore PCIE generation is on 3.0 if it is go to windows safe mode with networking and run DDU

On 5/30/2021 at 9:19 PM, redski said:

try hdmi first displayport can be weird sometimes

On 5/30/2021 at 9:12 PM, bellabichon said:

Have you installed drivers for the 970? Windows drivers should load automatically, but you should try manually installing the Nvidia ones. 

Update, I got it to work somehow... I just unplugged my psu instead of just turning off the switch when installing the gpu. I’m faced with another issue. I did a fresh install of windows and for some reason every time in the morning when I go to turn the on my pc it’s just a black screen I don’t see the bios screen. My Mobo puts out the code “a0” which is normal but I don’t see anything. Then I force shut the pc and turn it back on and it magically works.

48 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Update, I got it to work somehow... I just unplugged my psu instead of just turning off the switch when installing the gpu. I’m faced with another issue. I did a fresh install of windows and for some reason every time in the morning when I go to turn the on my pc it’s just a black screen I don’t see the bios screen. My Mobo puts out the code “a0” which is normal but I don’t see anything. Then I force shut the pc and turn it back on and it magically works.

Another update, my pc just bluescreened and the code was "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

8 hours ago, Randomizer23 said:

Another update, my pc just bluescreened and the code was "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

bad driver uninstall it

2 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

bad driver uninstall it

How do i know which driver it is?

On 6/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, Randomizer23 said:

How do i know which driver it is?

try the gpu driver but at this point i would just backup anything important and do a ram check using mdsched.exe or MemTest86

On 6/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, Linus No Beard said:

try the gpu driver but at this point i would just backup anything important and do a ram check using mdsched.exe or MemTest86

I already reinstalled windows and the issue has gone but it still shows a black screen upon boot and I have to force shut down the pc then it will finally post.