Dell's Precision 3240 - Cooling fan

craig_a4

Good day, long time lurker.

So I've recently had a recent workstation upgrade at work. At my amazement I found that the thing is tiny and the CPU has the tiniest heatsink on with a slimline laptop cooler. First turning it on and finding that the ram was at 6GB usage (I have 16GB) even after a restart, the long process of uninstalling all of Dell's crap. Managed to get the ram usage, when doing nothing, down to a reasonable level. Whilst I was uninstalling all of this crap, the thing wouldn't shut up, loud and whiney, fan seemed to ramp up at the tiniest thing. Checked the temps and to my horror I couldn't believe they were so high. Even at moderate workload on the CPU, about 40/50% utilisation, I'm hitting 100C on the CPU. These spikes in workload are for such a small amount of time (I'm talking seconds). This can't be right can it even with a poor cooling solution?

1171095431_CPUTemps.png.cd7a776cd45130ca8c16dfdefc2ec0df.png

try reinstalling windows to remove all that bloatware bs dell gives on the laptops, at least when you feel like it.
and that should normally not be this high even at idle, dell's shitty cooler should be like in the 50c range at idle. 
dawid did a great job explaining how:

as well as Gamer nexus recommended even on the dell G5 5000 to reinstall windows for better perfomance.

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC