Video editing laptop - $2k budget

So I haven't been in the loop for the latest news when it comes to laptop's but I just got a request from a friend.

He is an older gentlemen (70+) that is a photographer and now is also having to do video editing. He didn't provide any clear definition of what he needs, other than to be around the budget to edit drone footage. I know pricing has been a mess due to silicone and now even memory shortages, but is this reasonable?

Also I have very little knowledge in terms of actual needs for video editing and encoding, how much ram, storage and GPU is recommended would be appreciated.

Budget: ~$2k USD
Needs/wants I think may be applicable:

- Not be a Mac (I was a bit surprised, seems he has always been a windows guy and never got into Mac).

- Larger screen (17" I would think is preferred due to his age but I might advise to buy a separate screen as well, beyond his current budget).

- Memory: 32GB? (I assume this is the norm for video editing now? any idea?)

- Storage: ssd/nvme 1TB+? (I would think some fast ssd or nvme storage is a must with enough space to handle his projects)

- CPU/GPU: Whatever he can get, something balanced of course but with enough juice to be able to do the editing and encoding reliably.

- A mainstream/business vendor that may have better support if something goes wrong is preferred. Originally I thought of maybe a Lenovo but haven't looked too deeply into it. This is only a side benefit, not a real requirement.

7 minutes ago, Necrotic said:

So I haven't been in the loop for the latest news when it comes to laptop's but I just got a request from a friend.

He is an older gentlemen (70+) that is a photographer and now is also having to do video editing. He didn't provide any clear definition of what he needs, other than to be around the budget to edit drone footage. I know pricing has been a mess due to silicone and now even memory shortages, but is this reasonable?

Also I have very little knowledge in terms of actual needs for video editing and encoding, how much ram, storage and GPU is recommended would be appreciated.

Budget: ~$2k USD
Needs/wants I think may be applicable:

- Not be a Mac (I was a bit surprised, seems he has always been a windows guy and never got into Mac).

- Larger screen (17" I would think is preferred due to his age but I might advise to buy a separate screen as well, beyond his current budget).

- Memory: 32GB? (I assume this is the norm for video editing now? any idea?)

- Storage: ssd/nvme 1TB+? (I would think some fast ssd or nvme storage is a must with enough space to handle his projects)

- CPU/GPU: Whatever he can get, something balanced of course but with enough juice to be able to do the editing and encoding reliably.

- A mainstream/business vendor that may have better support if something goes wrong is preferred. Originally I thought of maybe a Lenovo but haven't looked too deeply into it. This is only a side benefit, not a real requirement.

Asus Zephyrus G17 2021