Dual Boot Issue

Hi,

I am going to describe the issue in a broad way to better explain the situtation!

I am having a problem with my dual boot system. I had an SSD. Previously I installed Windows 10 on that, then I decided to dual boot. So I made free space and started doing the installation. In the installation menu, I choosed windows drive to install ubuntu boot loader, but again and again, I was facing the issue which was basically grub was not showing up. Then I changed the boot loader installation path, on that time, I choose the full drive in order to install ubuntu boot loader. 

After that, I successfully installed ubuntu and used it. Then when I wanted to go back to Windows, I saw the option of Windows 10 in grub boot loader, but when I click that, a black screen appears.

I believe on the first try, I unexpectedly deleted the Windows boot loader, so windows is not loading now. I really don't know what to do, so please help me!

the answer at the bottom of this page probably sounds like your best option (ignore the reference to W8, Wo has the same option/functionality)

https://superuser.com/questions/1294071/how-to-recover-the-windows-10-mbr-after-w-linux-install

You can reinstall the Windows boot manager by booting off Windows bootable media.

• Press F8 while booting the system to go into the Windows Recovery Menu. Unlike other version Windows 8’s recovery menu has the Metro UI style.
  • Click on Troubleshoot.
  • Click on Advanced options to get into Automatic Repair menu.
  • Click Startup Repair

This will return the Windows bootloader, but remove the ability to boot Linux. You can add Linux to the boot menu by following these directions.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, mikeyw64 said:

the answer at the bottom of this page probably sounds like your best option (ignore the reference to W8, Wo has the same option/functionality)

https://superuser.com/questions/1294071/how-to-recover-the-windows-10-mbr-after-w-linux-install

You can reinstall the Windows boot manager by booting off Windows bootable media.

• Press F8 while booting the system to go into the Windows Recovery Menu. Unlike other version Windows 8’s recovery menu has the Metro UI style.
  • Click on Troubleshoot.
  • Click on Advanced options to get into Automatic Repair menu.
  • Click Startup Repair

This will return the Windows bootloader, but remove the ability to boot Linux. You can add Linux to the boot menu by following these directions.

Really really sorry for being late. I was testing what you told, but a few problems that I encountered. I made a bootable Windows using pendrive and I booted into it. But it basically never boots, rather it shows a black screen with a cursor blinking. I tried a few ways, I used 3 different versions of Windows but still I stuck on the black screen. So I never reached to the troubleshot menu. What can I do now?

On 5/18/2021 at 12:41 PM, Raiyan_Sarker said:

Hi,

I am going to describe the issue in a broad way to better explain the situtation!

I am having a problem with my dual boot system. I had an SSD. Previously I installed Windows 10 on that, then I decided to dual boot. So I made free space and started doing the installation. In the installation menu, I choosed windows drive to install ubuntu boot loader, but again and again, I was facing the issue which was basically grub was not showing up. Then I changed the boot loader installation path, on that time, I choose the full drive in order to install ubuntu boot loader. 

After that, I successfully installed ubuntu and used it. Then when I wanted to go back to Windows, I saw the option of Windows 10 in grub boot loader, but when I click that, a black screen appears.

I believe on the first try, I unexpectedly deleted the Windows boot loader, so windows is not loading now. I really don't know what to do, so please help me!

Is your machine a laptop or a desktop? Bootloader stuff is always more of a pain on laptops.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:46 PM, Raiyan_Sarker said:

Really really sorry for being late. I was testing what you told, but a few problems that I encountered. I made a bootable Windows using pendrive and I booted into it. But it basically never boots, rather it shows a black screen with a cursor blinking. I tried a few ways, I used 3 different versions of Windows but still I stuck on the black screen. So I never reached to the troubleshot menu. What can I do now?

Your bootloader is correctly detecting the bootable pendrive?
What exactly happens after you boot into it? 

It is a laptop.

And when I boot in from a USD with bootable Windows in it, it shows just a blank screen with a line blinking. I mean kinda like a cursor when you type. I checked again and again with different versions of windows, but the result is always the same!