Upgrading current laptop, could use some suggestions

Hi, so I am currently running an HP Specter x360 13 inch, with an intel i7-7500U and 8GB of ram. 

I am currently and engineering student and the laptop has being doing alright until I started doing a lot more of 3D modeling in SolidWorks and AutoCAD, and that's when I started to run into problems.

I have a $2000 budget, also plan on playing some games on the new system such as Squad and racing sims. Any recommendations would be great thanks !   

12 minutes ago, Frank145 said:

Hi, so I am currently running an HP Specter x360 13 inch, with an intel i7-7500U and 8GB of ram. 

I am currently and engineering student and the laptop has being doing alright until I started doing a lot more of 3D modeling in SolidWorks and AutoCAD, and that's when I started to run into problems.

I have a $2000 budget, also plan on playing some games on the new system such as Squad and racing sims. Any recommendations would be great thanks !   

Does it have to be a 2in1 or are you good with a standard clamshell?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 6:01 PM, jrhaberland said:

Does it have to be a 2in1 or are you good with a standard clamshell?

I'm good with a standard clamshell

On 5/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, Doug_Dangger said:

laptop.jpg

I was looking at it but I would much rather have a 15 inch if possible since I do have to carry it a around campus 

I was looking at the MSI GS66 stealth since it can be optioned with 32 gigs of memory however I am not sure if I will take a big hit by going with a 2070