Laptop mining safe temp?

I have an asus laptop(ROG STRIX G531GU) with a GTX 1660 Ti. I dont really use it but i read that chinese miners have bought laptops for mining and i thought i could mine with it too.

My gpu sits at around 65-70 celsius degrees max, and i was wondering if that can damage my gpu. And if it does how much lifespan am i taking from it? I must say that the laptop only mines in the daytime, i let it mine overnight only 2 times a week.

Mining on a laptop isn't worth it. The 16 series don't give incredible hash rates, especially not when they're in laptops. When you mine on any GPU you risk shortening the lifespan, furthermore, on a laptop, you'll also be shortening the lifespan of the battery, which doesn't matter for industrial miners, as they only have the laptops so that they can get hold of the GPUs within them. The most damage will be done if you let it mine 24/7 though.

At the end of the day, it is possible, but just not worth it.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

43 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Mining on a laptop isn't worth it.

Can you elaborate?

43 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

The 16 series don't give incredible hash rates, especially not when they're in laptops.

Any numbers?

From my understanding, it does degrade the plastic on the laptop faster due to the heat

But if OP reduces power limit (as every person mining should), the components would have minimal chance of dying unless inadequately cooled (in which case it would have a higher chance of dying at stock power limits during ANY load)

Fan bearing might also die sooner than if the laptop is off, of course

Whether if it's worth it is up to OP, there are profit calculators online and 1660ti is one of the good cards for mining, other than 3000 series Nvidia

Figure out your power draw (of the entire laptop) after optimally setting it up, then key it into the calculator and it'll tell you your projected income based on previous data

It may not be entirely accurate as the market is volatile, but you get a rough idea, and can always stop when it's no longer profitable

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Can you elaborate?

Any numbers?

From my understanding, it does degrade the plastic on the laptop faster due to the heat

But if OP reduces power limit (as every person mining should), the components would have minimal chance of dying unless inadequately cooled (in which case it would have a higher chance of dying at stock power limits during ANY load)

Fan bearing might also die sooner than if the laptop is off, of course

Whether if it's worth it is up to OP, there are profit calculators online and 1660ti is one of the good cards for mining, other than 3000 series Nvidia

Figure out your power draw (of the entire laptop) after optimally setting it up, then key it into the calculator and it'll tell you your projected income based on previous data

It may not be entirely accurate as the market is volatile, but you get a rough idea, and can always stop when it's no longer profitable

From my experience, even with my desktop 1660 Super it isn't really worth it after I considered the accelerated degradation of the card at a time when GPUs are notoriously hard to come by. But yes, it does depend on each person.

Laptops are not designed with this sort of extreme sustained use in mind, and this will accelerate the process of the laptop degrading, in particular the plastic casing, battery and fans, but yes, if OP is sensible, then the laptop will be fine, but then the profits will be lower.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

3 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

the accelerated degradation of the card

elaborate...?

compared to off, sure

3 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Laptops are not designed with this sort of extreme sustained use in mind

if a laptop isnt designed to operate at saturated full (any) load temp, it's a bad laptop to begin with, in which case i would agree

Just now, Moonzy said:

elaborate...?

if a laptop isnt designed to operate at saturated full (any) load temp, it's a bad laptop to begin with, in which case i would agree

Increased power draw, fans running 24/7, increased heat output, and so on and so on. If you're constantly trying to peg the GPU with a heavy load then it is bound to degrade more quickly.

If we're talking about not putting a limit on the GPU and temps, then there are going to be issues with increased heat output, especially if this is being run 24 hours a day. Laptops are by their very nature cramped, even gaming laptops. Yes, some have better cooling, and I do agree that this issue wouldn't exist if there were limits put on it.

That said, if we're putting limits on it, then you're slowing down an already slower mobile GPU even further, so the profits to be had will decrease. Sure, there's still money to be made, but, considering energy costs and the volatile market, is it worth it at this point? In my opinion, no.

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

17 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

if we're putting limits on it, then you're slowing down an already slower mobile GPU even further, so the profits to be had will decrease

you dont get how mining works, i would guess

a GPU at 100% power limit doesn't perform any better than GPU that's ideally tuned

ie, my 3060ti consumes 204W, does 63.11MH/s at 100% power limit

image.png.dfb91b6c2222d3a9ba872b42cfeccfea.png

if i reduce the power limit to 62%, the temps of the GPU core drops a lot, VRM too (i would assume)

but the hash rate remains the same

image.png.84b898abe95f821ca0bd0cae2bba6848.png

this is because core clock doesnt really matter in ETH mining, so you can crank down power limit way down without seeing much degredation in performance

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you dont get how mining works, i would guess

a GPU at 100% power limit doesn't perform any GPU that's ideally tuned

ie, my 3060ti consumes 204W, does 63.11MH/s at 100% power limit

image.png.dfb91b6c2222d3a9ba872b42cfeccfea.png

if i reduce the power limit to 62%, the temps of the GPU core drops a lot, VRM too (i would assume)

but the hash rate remains the same

image.png.84b898abe95f821ca0bd0cae2bba6848.png

this is because core clock doesnt really matter in ETH mining, so you can crank down power limit way down without seeing much degredation in performance

My bad, from my very brief experience giving mining a go I didn't delve that far in. I would assume then that this relieves a good bit of pressure off of the VRMs, fans and power supply.

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

8 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I would assume then that this relieves a good bit of pressure off of the VRMs, fans and power supply.

for normal desktop cards, i would only worry about the fans, because preferably you would crank it to 70% or above to keep the VRAM cool

for laptop, the degradation of the plastic chassis would have to be considered as well

but of course, having a full load running compared to idle or off is still wearing out your (electrical) components more, but it's mostly negligible if you reduce the power limit

My laptop 1660 Ti makes profit for like 4 dollars a day and 190 dollars a month

idk but for an unemployed student 200 usd is nice money :))

My fans are 100% always, i overclocked the memory to +850 Mhz and reduced the core clock to -400 Mhz

Power limit cant be changed on laptops

Do you think the laptop will continue to function properly for the next 4 years?

i dont care at all about the battery if it was a removable one i would remove it and forget about it i dont really use it :))