Upgradeable Laptop

My daughter is looking for a new laptop. She is going to heading to college soon but isn't sure what she wants as of yet. I personally want to have some sort of upgrade path on it just incase she decides to switch her degree and needs more ram or storage. Any suggestions? She wants long battery life and something light that she can carry. Any suggestions?

She currently uses a MacBook Air 2016 Intel I3

Used Dell Latitudes are affordable, easily repairable and upgradeable, assuming they are available where you live.

What's wrong with the Macbook Air?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

Used Dell Latitudes are affordable, easily repairable and upgradeable, assuming they are available where you live.

What's wrong with the Macbook Air?

Nothing honestly. She just wants to upgrade and make her own purchase. You know spreading her wings and try to be an adult type thing

I've got a Dell XPS 15 9570. I've upgraded the RAM, storage and battery. All I had to do was remove the back cover and had easy access to all. I also work with mostly Dell laptops at my work and all of the recent ones that we have purchased follow the same standard. Open back cover and have access to all internals.

1 minute ago, angrykoala01 said:

Nothing honestly. She just wants to upgrade and make her own purchase. You know spreading her wings and try to be an adult type thing

Understandable, but my suggestion wouldn't be much of an upgrade in that case.

What's the budget? The market for used hardware depends a lot on where you live, so I can't make any exact suggestions.

6 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Understandable, but my suggestion wouldn't be much of an upgrade in that case.

What's the budget? The market for used hardware depends a lot on where you live, so I can't make any exact suggestions.

That's what I tried telling her but she's adamant about it. $1000 is her budget but me and mom are going to chip in on it as a surprise

Just now, angrykoala01 said:

That's what I tried telling her but she's adamant about it. $1000 is her budget but me and mom are going to chip in on it as a surprise

Then your best bet might be a new Thinkpad instead. T14 with an AMD chip for example, but that has upgradeable storage and soldered RAM.

Which is more important, upgradeability or being thin and light? Those are a one or the other type of thing.