Wifi is acting up

SamHeen

I’ve recently been having weird wifi patterns. It goes from great to horrible and then disconnects and all of this in the space of 5 minutes. I’m only having this problem with my pc (wifi card) and my wifi is stable and above 100mbps. What can I do until I get ethernet?

2 hours ago, SamHeen said:

I’ve recently been having weird wifi patterns. It goes from great to horrible and then disconnects and all of this in the space of 5 minutes. I’m only having this problem with my pc (wifi card) and my wifi is stable and above 100mbps. What can I do until I get ethernet?

🤔 First, try pinging your modem/router by typing 'ping -n 30' into your command prompt as shown below. It will ping it 30 times. You can ping it 50 times if you want. This is to help rule out the issue being on your end. 

Constant Ping to Modem.jpg

The next one below is to help rule out the issue being on the service providers end, called "pathping". You can ping google, or whatever other website you want. 

Pathping to Cox.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, SamHeen said:

1. How far is your PC from the wireless router?
  2. What is the make/model of the wireless adapter? What is the make/model of the wireless router?
  3. Do you use any wireless range extenders/boosters/etc?
  4. Have you tried restarting the wireless router?

9 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. How far is your PC from the wireless router?
  2. What is the make/model of the wireless adapter? What is the make/model of the wireless router?
  3. Do you use any wireless range extenders/boosters/etc?
  4. Have you tried restarting the wireless router?

1. this is my other account but its about 9M away. 
2. It’s the https://www.amazon.fr/Ubit-1167Mbps-Bluetooth4-0-Adaptateur-WIE7265/dp/B07FSG5W9Q/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+card&qid=1620200436&sr=8-1 .

3. I don’t have any of those.

4. I have but to no avail.

10 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 First, try pinging your modem/router by typing 'ping -n 30' into your command prompt as shown below. It will ping it 30 times. You can ping it 50 times if you want. This is to help rule out the issue being on your end. 

The next one below is to help rule out the issue being on the service providers end, called "pathping". You can ping google, or whatever other website you want. 

Pathping to Cox.jpg

will this tell me only at that time? because it the speed (and my ping in most games) varies a lot.

btw this is my other account

12 minutes ago, Bubblz_ said:

will this tell me only at that time? because it the speed (and my ping in most games) varies a lot.

btw this is my other account

Not necessarily the speed of your internet that you are paying for with your service provider, but it will tell you what the latency is, and whether or not data packets are being dropped (which leads to connection issues in case you don't know). You did say your connection randomly disconnects, so these tools will help you determine if the connection is being dropped on your end, or on the ISP's end. You can also try the application below on top of it which does pretty much the same thing, only it monitors it live, while gaming. Only problem is its not free. There may be other similar programs to it, but I can't say for sure. But I would just try out those ping commands first. 

link: https://www.pingplotter.com/

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Not necessarily the speed of your internet that you are paying for with your service provider, but it will tell you what the latency is, and whether or not data packets are being dropped (which leads to connection issues in case you don't know). You did say your connection randomly disconnects, so these tools will help you determine if the connection is being dropped on your end, or on the ISP's end. You can also try the application below on top of it which does pretty much the same thing, only it monitors it live, while gaming. Only problem is its not free. There may be other similar programs to it, but I can't say for sure. But I would just try out those ping commands first. 

ok i’ll try that this afternoon. I’ll tell you the outcome. Thx!

7 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

oh and i’m not 100% sure I installed the newest drivers. Could that potentially be the issue?

23 minutes ago, Bubblz_ said:

oh and i’m not 100% sure I installed the newest drivers. Could that potentially be the issue?

I mean..maybe, but usually network drivers get updated automatically by the device manager. First thing is to verify if the issue is even on your end to start with using that ping command. If you see the latency is good and packets aren't dropping between your device and your modem, then you needn't really go any further updating drivers and stuff. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

13 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Pathping to Cox.jpg

just did it. 

E696D985-A65A-46BC-A7D4-9626DB5ADDFB.jpeg

9017F9FE-B688-49DF-A359-03F4D64A202E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bubblz_ said:

just did it. 

E696D985-A65A-46BC-A7D4-9626DB5ADDFB.jpeg

9017F9FE-B688-49DF-A359-03F4D64A202E.jpeg

😬 Yeah, its not that packets are being dropped that is the issue. At least that is what I can see in the first one. The latency is definitely a problem though. The round trip time is insanely high, where it says 270ms. That would make any game rather difficult to play. You did ping your modem/default gateway in the first image right? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

17 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

😬 Yeah, its not that packets are being dropped that is the issue. At least that is what I can see in the first one. The latency is definitely a problem though. The round trip time is insanely high, where it says 270ms. That would make any game rather difficult to play. You did ping your modem/default gateway in the first image right? 

err i think so? i just did « ping -n 1.1.1.1 ». It’s the dns server i use. It might be completely wrong what i did.

5 hours ago, Bubblz_ said:

err i think so? i just did « ping -n 1.1.1.1 ». It’s the dns server i use. It might be completely wrong what i did.

🤔 Well, the round trip time shouldn't be that high regardless unless the server is on the other side of the planet. But no, that's not your modem. Type in 'ipconfig' in the command prompt. Your modem's IP address will be listed as "default gateway". Just ping that address using 'ping -n'.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:56 PM, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well, the round trip time shouldn't be that high regardless unless the server is on the other side of the planet. But no, that's not your modem. Type in 'ipconfig' in the command prompt. Your modem's IP address will be listed as "default gateway". Just ping that address using 'ping -n'.

sorry for the really late response. I had my antennas (from the wifi card) horizontally xD. Sorry for wasting your time and thank you!