Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rackable PC - Intel Core i9

Hello. I don't have a lot of experience with servers, and I thought it's better to ask. I want to make a rackable server/PC with Intel Core i9-11900K, and boosted to 5.3GHz on all the cores, if possible. I guess for something like that, I will need water cooling and I never used before. For a server case, I thought something like 3U or 4U, depending on the space. The server will be used mostly to host CS:GO servers, single-core, that's why I need the boost. I will send it to a datacenter with atleast 10GBPS connection.

I don't have a budged, so the price doesn't really matter, if it's a list with everything I need on Amazon, would be best. Or does someone knows a retailer that sells something like this? I searched for something like this, but they didn't have everything I needed.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

That is a big waste of money,  you can probably overclock an 11700k and get the exact same results

You can basically oc any 11700k to that level of performance turns out.

Also for single core amd is king. The 11900k is not better than amds offerings.

9 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

That is a big waste of money,  you can probably overclock an 11700k and get the exact same results

I know that, but I kind of want it to be overkill, it is gonna be for a CS:GO community and probably a hosting company.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can basically oc any 11700k to that level of performance turns out.

Also for single core amd is king. The 11900k is not better than amds offerings.

I'm open to AMD too, but just 5950X.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, flrn said:

I know that, but I kind of want it to be overkill, it is gonna be for a CS:GO community and probably a hosting company.

I'm open to AMD too, but just 5950X.

Thanks.

A: don’t think you understand, a well OCed 11700k performs around the same and is cheaper. Same core count as well. If you want to go Intel for hosting then get a 10900 or something with a lot of cores. Hell, most game servers don’t even require a lot of cores, I run most of my servers off of only 2 3900x cores.

B: why only 5950x? A good choice for hosting to be sure but really overkill for what you described. A 5900x beats a 11900k in every possible way, and is not an expensive 5950x.

Also, I think the 5800x beats the 11900k too? Would need someone to confirm that for me.

10 minutes ago, TitanMaster57 said:

A: don’t think you understand, a well OCed 11700k performs around the same and is cheaper. Same core count as well. If you want to go Intel for hosting then get a 10900 or something with a lot of cores. Hell, most game servers don’t even require a lot of cores, I run most of my servers off of only 2 3900x cores.

B: why only 5950x? A good choice for hosting to be sure but really overkill for what you described. A 5900x beats a 11900k in every possible way, and is not an expensive 5950x.

Also, I think the 5800x beats the 11900k too? Would need someone to confirm that for me.

I do understand. It will not be for just 2-5 servers, for exemple, I want the best performance for my CS:GO server, the lower the var the better. Really overkill is the thing I'm going for, it is my first server and for this, I really want this overkill. Just to be honest, why really I want this overkill, I don't know. At the moment, I do have 3 servers rented, they are good, but I want to have the first owned. It's not arrogance, may be stupid, but is just the way I am.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, flrn said:

I do understand. It will not be for just 2-5 servers, for exemple, I want the best performance for my CS:GO server, the lower the var the better. Really overkill is the thing I'm going for, it is my first server and for this, I really want this overkill. Just to be honest, why really I want this overkill, I don't know. At the moment, I do have 3 servers rented, they are good, but I want to have the first owned. It's not arrogance, may be stupid, but is just the way I am.

Thanks.

Well in that case, a 5950x beats a 11900k any day of the week

5 hours ago, flrn said:

Thanks.

A 5800x is already better than a 11900k a 5900x or 5950x just have more cores and a little better single core speed that can easily be achieved on a 5800x too. So either way amd is by far the best choice here no matter the cpu.

18 hours ago, flrn said:

if its for a company why not use server grade hardware directly?

22 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

if its for a company why not use server grade hardware directly?

I thought about Intel Gold (not at all EPYC), but they don't have the frequency that I want.

3 hours ago, flrn said:

I thought about Intel Gold (not at all EPYC), but they don't have the frequency that I want.

well EPYC is exactly what you want here as intel has become basically irrelevant for new high performance and high frequency servers over the last few years.

Since you want overkill and you want to run this for your server renting business something like an EPYC 7000 series which you can get with 3,9Ghz and 16 cores which will be more then enough for any CS GO server and you could actually run a separate server on each individual core without any issues.

I did a list on Amazon, but I honestly have no idea what if I need anything else or it will fit everything in the server case I chose. There are 2 power supplies, I don't know what to chose either and I hope the water cooling should be ok.

Pixel5, should go with 3,9GHz with server grade, I know it will last longer, but at this point I want a desktop rackable server, any frequency I get over 4 should improve everything, I want to test atleast 50 slots with 128 tickrate, if you know CS:GO. I don't know, I'm obsessed with 0.00001 var.

I'm sorry for the double post. I've made an update to Amazon. But the problem, the case I chose previously I don't think is good. Anyone got an idea for a good server case? Of course, with space for water cooling.

1 hour ago, flrn said:

I'm sorry for the double post. I've made an update to Amazon. But the problem, the case I chose previously I don't think is good. Anyone got an idea for a good server case? Of course, with space for water cooling.

Make sure you include more ram!

4gb is not enough

As for case, I think you can just use a normal one, the motherboard is a standard form factor. My default answer to “what case I should buy” is a p360a.

1 hour ago, curiousmind34 said:

Make sure you include more ram!

4gb is not enough

As for case, I think you can just use a normal one, the motherboard is a standard form factor. My default answer to “what case I should buy” is a p360a.

That is a bug from Amazon. My list looks like this:

I've chosen 5950X, 64GB RAM 3600MHz. And what I found on Amazon for the case, 'p360a' is a mid-tower. I need a server.

Does anyone knows if in a Silverstone RM42-502 is enough space for NXZT Kraken X73 360mm?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0fa2a9e7cd78d9fd090d32790b103fc4.png

1 hour ago, flrn said:

Does anyone knows if in a Silverstone RM42-502 is enough space for NXZT Kraken X73 360mm?

Reveal hidden contents

The answer is no. It supports a max of a 240 rad. Granted anything over 240 is a bit overkill anyway.

9 hours ago, flrn said:

That is a bug from Amazon. My list looks like this:

I've chosen 5950X, 64GB RAM 3600MHz. And what I found on Amazon for the case, 'p360a' is a mid-tower. I need a server.

Reveal hidden contents

you shouldnt really need a radiator for a server case, servers are basically always air cooled because noise is not an issue for servers and the reliability and zero maintenance of air cooling beats and tiny temperature advantage of a liquid cooler.

Before you choose a case you should find out how much its gonna cost you to put that server into a data center per U if height.

that kind of system should be possible in a 2U high case which would probably save you a lot of money over a 4U chassis which will probably cost at least twice as much to put into a data center.

this is also why i recommended going with EPYC because you can get matching combos of cases, motherboards and CPU coolers that will all work together.

that will usually also mean your motherboard comes with an IPMI management interface so you can for example reboots the system remotely even if its stuck for any reason.

Consumer hardware typically does not come with any of these interfaces.

13 hours ago, curiousmind34 said:

The answer is no. It supports a max of a 240 rad. Granted anything over 240 is a bit overkill anyway.

So if I switch to an 240mm should fit? I wanna try to boost every core to maximum, thats why I want water cooling, I don't know if air flow will be enough.

5 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

you shouldnt really need a radiator for a server case, servers are basically always air cooled because noise is not an issue for servers and the reliability and zero maintenance of air cooling beats and tiny temperature advantage of a liquid cooler.

Before you choose a case you should find out how much its gonna cost you to put that server into a data center per U if height.

that kind of system should be possible in a 2U high case which would probably save you a lot of money over a 4U chassis which will probably cost at least twice as much to put into a data center.

this is also why i recommended going with EPYC because you can get matching combos of cases, motherboards and CPU coolers that will all work together.

that will usually also mean your motherboard comes with an IPMI management interface so you can for example reboots the system remotely even if its stuck for any reason.

Consumer hardware typically does not come with any of these interfaces.

As said, honestly I don't know if is a need water cooling, I never had a server, I don't know if air flow for this type of CPU is enough.

The colocation will be in Voxility, they sell minimum 10U, so if it's 2U, 3U, 4U doesn't really matter because at first I will rent 10U, and then hopefully to an full rack. This server I will buy it because at the moment I have an i9-9900K, that should be enough for CS:GO, but we do have another servers with some ping settings and that uses to much CPU, my server with 25-32 people jumps the core, 105% or more and you can't play. I have no idea what chassis, what I know is they have 19" racks. At this point, I guess I need just the case and I can place the order.

The network adaptor what I have on that list, is it good enough or should I choose another one?

And regarding EPYC, I know server-grade equipment is better for a datacenter, but Voxility has a package for support and I will need to pay that because I want to ship the server and let them install everything, so if anything happens, I hope I will be covered.

Update: will not use water cooling, I got an advice to use Noctua DH15.