Moving a PC into a smaller Mini ITX Case

NB912

Hey everyone,

I've got a PC with a ZALMAN Z3PLUS ATX Case and I was wondering if it's possible moving it's components to a Mini ITX case.

The list of components making up the PC are:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170-VGA/DVI/HDMI 4*DDR4

CPU: Intel Core-i7 6700 SOCKET

GPU: GEFORCE  GTX 950-2G

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4-2400 KINGSTON HYPERX

SSD: SANDISK 480 SSD

HDD: 1000 SATA WD

Power Supply: ATX 600W ZALMAN + 6PIN

It's ok if the Case comes with a power supply (if the existing one won't fit a Mini ITX case), and if it's not possible to fit these parts to a Mini ITX case, would they fit into a Micro ATX Case?

Thanks for all your help.

You need a new motherboard then and a new psu as the current one you have is basically a firehazard that you are being lucky with right now.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You need a new motherboard then and a new psu as the current one you have is basically a fire hazard that you are being lucky with right now.

Any motherboard and PSU in particular you'd recommend? Also, you got me thinking, is this PSU: ATX 700W ZALMAN + 6PIN also a fire hazard?

7 hours ago, NB912 said:

Any motherboard and PSU in particular you'd recommend? Also, you got me thinking, is this PSU: ATX 700W ZALMAN + 6PIN also a fire hazard?

If it is that generic zalman one. YES. Very much so.

Well got a budget?

Also also. You will have to get a board used due to the age of the system and they aren't cheap. You are basically 2/3's of the way to get a bit better ryzen setup. So maybe hold off till you can do an actual upgrade here OR get a riotoro case they have a couple atx cases that are actually the size of a small micro atx case.

It's just that, an ATX 700W ZALMAN+6 PIN.

As for the budget, I was thinking something around €100, and maybe a bit more if needed. And do I understand correctly, for the transition I'll need a used (mother)board?

Also I was wondering, how come both PU I've mentioned are fire hazards? I looked up google and saw nothing in particular. Thanks again.

Bad powersupplies can just fail and send whatever voltage and amperage to your components, breaking them and possibly starting fires (just imagine your CPU getting direct power from the wall, or just a motherboard capacitor exploding).

This is the current PSU Tier List:

Returning to the ITX build you would need a case and possibly a CPU cooler if you aren't using the stock one or a very small one. Oh and ofc a PSU that doesn't burn your house down (possibly a SFX sized unit if you want an ITX case that doesn't support standard ATX PSU's).