do i need a dac?

Piconjis

Hello Im going to buy AKG k701 soon and Im wondering should i get an amp and dac combo or just the mayflower o2 amp. I use rog hero 6 motherboard!

I've read somewhere (probably head-fi forums) that Schiit Modi + O2 is a good choice for those headphones. The LTT forums audio people seem to have disappeared somewhere so I'd recommend reading up on head-fi forums and come back to check new replies. 

I've read somewhere (probably head-fi forums) that Schiit Modi + O2 is a good choice for those headphones. The LTT forums audio people seem to have disappeared somewhere so I'd recommend reading up on head-fi forums and come back to check new replies. 

Don't go to headfi. It's a mass of people who will make you spend money on totally unnecessary products and snake oil devices.

Your motherboard is fine, you can just pick up the amp.

I never recommend Schiit products after the drama with their magical headphone-destroying amplifiers. Of course Head-Fi would say Schiit products are great; they're a sponsor and Head-Fi is notorious for censoring dissent against their sponsors.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

The on-board audio should be fine on that motherboard. An amp is really the only thing you'll need. It's usually only people with faulty on-board audio or (usually) lower end motherboards with poor audio implementations. I recently sold my Xonar D2X because, compared to my on-board Supreme FX, it actually coloured the audio a lot more, even with stock settings in the software.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I'm still here.  It's that guy with the poodle avatar that write an essay for every post who does that.  The O2 and Magni, like the ODAC and the Modi sound effectively the same, only the magni is louder and you can interpret a whole myriad of differences with volume alone.

I'm with Mayflower, just pick up the amp unless you want to use it with a laptop or something.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

You really only need a DAC if you're getting interference from the inside of your computer. I know mine gives a lovely placebo effect (I think) that sounds absolutely amazing!

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

I'd recommend an amp with K 701's, but OP's mileage may vary.

You really only need a DAC if you're getting interference from the inside of your computer. I know mine gives a lovely placebo effect (I think) that sounds absolutely amazing!

No, an amp is required after every DAC. You have a DAC/amp combo.