Big Sur on M1 Mac bug : You do not have permission to open the application [app name].

Go to solution Solved by samirbellik,
15 hours ago, bradmonster said:

I don't have an M1 Mac to test this for you but can you try the following command:

"codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/AppName.app"

It will try to force sign the app and give you permission to run it.

Tried it, didn't work unfortunately.

But I found "a solution" and it's driving me crazy...

after watching a video from someone with the same issue I did the same thing and it works... for no apparent reason.

I downloaded the same files from another Intel Mac, I have an old 2015 MacBook Pro, Once downloaded, I sent the file with airdrop to the M1 MacBook Air, and it just works... 

here's the video : 

Apparently the dowloaded app from the M1 Mac is not the latest version for whatever reason, but from an Intel Mac, it is ... it's mind boggling !!! 

I suppose it would be the same if downloaded from a PC... 

Hi LTT people :) 

This is my first post here, and I come to you with an issue I couldn't get around... I have an M1 MacBook Air, and for some apps I installed (or tried to) I get an error message : "You do not have permission to open the application [app name]. Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance" 

Unfortunately, I'm the only user of this laptop... so I guess I'm the admin I have to contact -_- 

I Googled it and it's apparently a common occurence, but there's no clear solution, I followed the steps I found for similar cases, and I found out that for on of the apps the developer ID signature had expired (I contacted the developers to let them know and try to fix it) 

The other one is from Logitech... Logitech Options, and it's the latest update (April 2021) and it doesn't let me install it ... 

I tried to check if it was quarantined, it doesn't do anything

this command  xattr /applications/blocs4.app

and this one :  xattr -d /applications/blocs4.app

when executed doesn't get any response (yes it's the correct file path) 

Anyone can help ? 

Thank you :)

I don't have an M1 Mac to test this for you but can you try the following command:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

Just throwing this out there. Is this one of those cases where just before the end of a software installation you have to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy, then click a button that says grant this installation? Also while in the Privacy & Security pref see what's checked here, is it set for Allow Downloaded Apps from: App Store only or App Store and Identified Developers.

Apple 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro | Apple 2021 M2 MacBook Air

Intel Hades Canyon NUC - i7-8809G, 3.10 GHz | 32 GB RAM | 512 GB + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO | Radeon Vega GH | MSI Silent Armor 1060-6GB in Sonnet eGPU. 

Intel Serpent Canyon NUC - i7-12700 | 32GB RAM 

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR | Intel i5-12600K | EVGA 3080 Ti | 64GB Corsair Dominator | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD | 4TB Samsung 870 EVO | 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD

15 hours ago, bradmonster said:

after watching a video from someone with the same issue I did the same thing and it works... for no apparent reason.

I downloaded the same files from another Intel Mac, I have an old 2015 MacBook Pro, Once downloaded, I sent the file with airdrop to the M1 MacBook Air, and it just works... 

here's the video : 

Apparently the dowloaded app from the M1 Mac is not the latest version for whatever reason, but from an Intel Mac, it is ... it's mind boggling !!! 

27 minutes ago, samirbellik said:

here's the video : 

From past experience it is not the program itself, but most often some dependency that fails. 

Can you try executing the program via terminal ?

"./pathtoapp/App.app/Contents/MacOS/App"

if that does not work give it a "chmod u+x pathasabove"

and then retry 

Thats why I use brew. Because you build the stuff on your local machine it never happened to me to brew apps

18 hours ago, CrowDazzle said:

Just throwing this out there. Is this one of those cases where just before the end of a software installation you have to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy, then click a button that says grant this installation? Also while in the Privacy & Security pref see what's checked here, is it set for Allow Downloaded Apps from: App Store only or App Store and Identified Developers.

No it's not one of theses cases unfortunately, I installed other non App Store apps, like VLC, PIA, Spotify, Atom... and I allowed the installation from Identified developers.
The thing is it directly prompts the message on first click... I found a solution, see my reply down 🙂 

Thanks tho 🙂 

8 hours ago, Ulysses499 said:

From past experience it is not the program itself, but most often some dependency that fails. 

Can you try executing the program via terminal ?

"./pathtoapp/App.app/Contents/MacOS/App"

if that does not work give it a "chmod u+x pathasabove"

and then retry 

Thats why I use brew. Because you build the stuff on your local machine it never happened to me to brew apps

I've encountered this solution on the apple support forum, Tried it, nothing worked 😞 I found another solution that worked for my. Apparently, on certain apps, with the M1 Macs, when downloading the app, it morphs it to a previous version, and it has a bad dev signature as a result, so I downloaded the app from another Intel machine, and it worked.

Thanks for the help 🙂