What Microphone does Linus Use?

Anthony10
Go to solution Solved by Anthony10,

As a lapel mic (im assuming this is what you mean by clip-on mic) he uses (or used to, I think he is using solely rhode mics now) some sennheiser wireless lapel mic. 

Thanks, after some research of lavalier mics, I found some good reviews and good sound quality tests of some on amazon, gonna order a few for my brother and he can use his favorite. Gonna buy him a good webcam with the money saved because these mics are pretty cheap.

My brother does some sports podcasts/interviews on his mac, and would really love to get him some stuff to make it better for his birthday. I was wondering what mic linus uses because I don't think he would want a desk mic, so preferably a clip on mic.

Any alternative suggestions would be nice, I don't know what these mics run for, would prefer for it to be >$200, $100 would be great. Thanks

Linus uses a Rode shotgun mic, which is well out side your budget, and so is the shit to make it work. 
For you budget, I wouldn't really suggest more then a ATR2050 or Blue Snowball/Yeti. 

Linus uses a Rode shotgun mic, which is well out side your budget, and so is the shit to make it work. 

For you budget, I wouldn't really suggest more then a ATR2050 or Blue Snowball/Yeti. 

I guess you didn't read it, I want to get him a clip on mic not a desk mic.

You also asked what mic Linus used, which I answered, and to answer the second question correctly I do suppose the Antlion Mod Mic is pretty solid, you might be about to get that Shure around the neck mic which would be neat and useful. 

You also asked what mic Linus used, which I answered, and to answer the second question correctly I do suppose the Antlion Mod Mic is pretty solid, you might be about to get that Shure around the neck mic which would be neat and useful. 

The rode shotgun looks to be $150-$250 depending on the model, how is that well outside my budget...?

The rode shotgun looks to be $150-$250 depending on the model, how is that well outside my budget...?

Because it needs a few things to make is work right (an audio interface), and does require a bit of post-recording work. Also would need a boom and pop filter, which would be about $50ish. 

With that said, the Shure mic is wireless, and needs a transmitter and receiver, which would put it at $200ish, but would be wireless which is nice I guess. 

He uses the rode shotgun mic mounted to a boom structure which isn't exactly what your looking for. I don't have any suggestions, but I know the mod mic is not what you are looking for either, that's meant to be mounted to headphones. I'm sorry I couldn't suggest anything, but I still wanted to put in my input. (PS, you can see the rode mic in some of his older live streams, before he moved to twitch streaming, the ones where he's always wearing a jacket)

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

As a lapel mic (im assuming this is what you mean by clip-on mic) he uses (or used to, I think he is using solely rhode mics now) some sennheiser wireless lapel mic. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

He had, had be the key word here, a Sennheiser lepel mic, which broke after a few years of service. 

Thanks, after some research of lavalier mics, I found some good reviews and good sound quality tests of some on amazon, gonna order a few for my brother and he can use his favorite. Gonna buy him a good webcam with the money saved because these mics are pretty cheap.

why a webcam? Webcams are universally horrible. Even most cheap point and shoots would beat them. 

I can recommend some great cameras for video (and photo as well) that have microphone inputs for your brother if you want. 

why a webcam? Webcams are universally horrible. Even most cheap point and shoots would beat them. 

I can recommend some great cameras for video (and photo as well) that have microphone inputs for your brother if you want. 

Nah it's fine thanks though. Webcam because it is simple to use and clips to his mac. I saw some demos with it and the auto focus is great and records at 1080p, so thats I'll he really needs ;P thanks though.

Nah it's fine thanks though. Webcam because it is simple to use and clips to his mac. I saw some demos with it and the auto focus is great and records at 1080p, so thats I'll he really needs ;P thanks though.

just because it records 1080p doesn't mean much... a 300$ 8 MP camera will take 1080p videos that are eons better than a 600$ smartphone that takes 1080p videos with a 13 MP camera

It seems kind of counter intuitive to spend a lot for audio (microphone) but to end up taking videos with a webcam...

just because it records 1080p doesn't mean much... a 300$ 8 MP camera will take 1080p videos that are eons better than a 600$ smartphone that takes 1080p videos with a 13 MP camera

It seems kind of counter intuitive to spend a lot for audio (microphone) but to end up taking videos with a webcam...

The convenience of the webcam is the reason I went with it, I understand what you are saying though. I don't want to make it a hassle to setup for streaming/interviews like a standard camera can be. Thanks for your input though. The microphones were pretty cheap by the way, the sound quality samples from reviewers were really good, and I've giving him 3 different ones and he can use the one he likes most. Here are the three I went with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007L8BQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J1Z9EKC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30QCQS3LMCHTJ

^ I got him both of that one for him to choose.

The first one has some bad reviews, but I believe it is because they were using it with a camera and they didn't adjust the settings. The sound tests I heard with it were very good when settings were right on the camera and terrible when not. When used with a computer the sound was great,