CPU + Mobo swap help

Hello world,

I have an i5 6500 and MSI B150M Pro-VDH in my current running system however I decided I wanted to upgrade as it has been proving to be the main slow down of my system (I plan on streaming games and thats just not possible with the current hardware). So after a lot of thinking I decided to go with an i5 10600KF and a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G. I am not building a whole new system and I would like to keep all my data or at least as much of it as possible (I have one boot drive and 2 other drives for storage). Will the swap require a reinstall of windows? If yes, what else do I need to do? Maybe link a vid? I have quite a bit of experience building but swapping CPUs and Mobos in an existing system is just something I have not done yet.

Thank you

e.

Just now, CrownieOG said:

If you are not changing out your drives you wont need a new reinstall of windows.

Really? I heard there could be driver incompatibilities etc. that could cause problems due to it being a different chipset and CPU?

2 minutes ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

I'd be careful.  Make sure you backup your data....proc you're upgrading from released in 2015 so I'm not sure just how well Windows will handle the upgrade (somewhat poorly if I were to guess)

Additionally, watch out for the stock voltages on the Z490....set them yourself in the BIOS just to play it safe.

what do you mean...? What could be wrong with the voltages?

Your current MB is mATX. Does ATX fit in your case?

What's the make and model of your RAM and psu?

1 minute ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

Steve Burke over at Gamers Nexus did a great video on this....some of these boards are shipping with boosted voltages (to improve their performance when compared with other boards)....and it's can damage the CPU

Having said that, the specific board you are looking at (the vision g) is very highly rated....still...I would check the voltages....just to be safe

a) could you link the video? thx

b) ofc I made sure not to get a crappy board ;))

Just now, --SID-- said:

Your current MB is mATX. Does ATX fit in your case?

What's the make and model of your RAM and psu?

I have a H510 from NZXT, a recent addition, I have a Corsair VS550 non modular PSU, which is due for an upgrade very soon, and ram is 2*8gb HyperX fury ddr4 @2133 mhz yes I know its slow but it was the only stuff I could get my hands on when I built my original system hence why I went with intel not amd (and cos it was cheaper lol)

2 minutes ago, CrownieOG said:

Thanks, one sec ur from slovakia? me too

2 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

2*8gb HyperX fury ddr4 @2133 mhz

That's bottleknecking the cpu. With 10600KF you want 3200 MT/s ram at least.

1 minute ago, CrownieOG said:

Hell yeah i am, could I ask where you got that vision g board from? Im thinking of getting another one for a build for a family member and my original one was a lil bit too pricy from alza

amazon, I got it for approx 210eur, I think it was among the last ones tho...

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

That's bottleknecking the cpu. With 10600KF you want 3200 MT/s ram at least.

Yea thats also on the list of things to replace lol. I think it actually is faster but my current crapfest of a board doesnt support any form of ram OCing

1 minute ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Yea thats also on the list of things to replace lol. I think it actually is faster but my current crapfest of a board doesnt support any form of ram OCing

so no XMP or anything, however I plan on OCing the 10600kf to 5.1ghz on my nh-d15 once I get a new psu with more eps connectors (rn I only have one 8pin)

however I plan on OCing the 10600kf to 5.1ghz on my nh-d15 once I get a new psu with more eps connectors (rn I only have one 8pin)

That's not an issues. The biggest issue is the lack of quality and ancient topology of the VS550.

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

That's not an issues. The biggest issue is the lack of quality and ancient topology of the VS550.

Hence why it is my next upgrade, any suggestions on what psu to get? Ideally fully modular?

A high-end 650 - 750w like Corsair RMx, be quiet Straight Power 11, Enermax Revolution D.F., Fractal Design ION+ or MSI MPG for example.