Strange GPU and CPU usage readings.

Hi guys,

I was pretty sure my AMD phenom II x6 2.6ghz was bottlenecking my MSI GTX 760. So to test this I launched borderlands 2 and ran about for a bit. What I noticed was that I was getting lower fps with barely and usage on both CPU GPU.

In the tundra express a few paces away from the loading screen I was getting high-low thirties (fps). I had msi afterburner and core temp up on my other monitor. 2 of my 6 cores were at around 30% load. 2 were at 50% and 2 were at 75-89%. But also my gpu was at low-high 50% load. So what is bottlenecking me? I did some more runnig around and the issue seems to be reccuring. I would like to note that this happened with my old rig (same amd phenom II x6 2.6ghz but with a saphire 7770) Currently im playing at highest settings 1080p but before when i with my old rig i was getting identitcal fps but at 1280x1024 and no physx. This problem isnt just with borderlands 2, my fps doesnt seem to have changed in any game moving from my old gpu and resolution.

Here is a link to my computer. Its an upgraded hand-me-down: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02567132

SIDE NOTE:

Upgraded parts on my rig:

I added 4gb of kingston hyperx blue. All my ram has to run at 600mhz because of my motherboard requirments.

Upgraded the radeon 5450 twice (7770-GTX 760)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Probably that ram clock speed may be the reason. But even if your one core is at 99% then that means your cpu is maxed out. But i'm not surprised the phenom would bottleneck a 760 even at faster clock speeds, I would recommend upgrading.

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

i doubt it is the CPU that is bottlenecking you, i ran BL2 on a athlon II X3 3.0 ghz with a 7850 and it was 60 FPS, i would check your video settings and make sure VSync isn't on 

Probably that ram clock speed may be the reason. But even if your one core is at 99% then that means your cpu is maxed out. But i'm not surprised the phenom would bottleneck a 760 even at faster clock speeds, I would recommend upgrading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9XuCz1FQEU

yur a murloc harry

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Currently an upgrade isnt an option. And Im not sure how much ram speeds would make a difference.

Also its not at 99% its only 80%. When im getting lower fps nothing is maxed out in usage.

well 600Mhz ram speed is.. i mean goign above 1600 doest make a difference but 600? and a mobo that cant run it faster? maybe it cant even send the cpu and gpu signals fast enough?, and the hard drive how fast is that on such a old system? and the CPU is so close to the limit..

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

The system is not that old but ill try getting rid of my 2gb stick of ram. And the hardrive is a seagate barracuda 7200 rpm