Upgrade or replace?

So im looking to upgrade my little ITX rig, i'm currently running a 6600k with 16gb of 2666mhz ram and a GTX1070. I play a lot of cpu bound titles - city builders, simulations, strategies, along with the odd big budget AAA game and a bit of VR - mostly just beatsaber and my poor 6600k is really struggling to keep up.

My question is, should i upgrade my current platform and buy a 6700k - approx £150 used and try and get another year or 2 out of it, or should i just bite the bullet and upgrade to something a little more modern - I'd be looking to spend around £350-£400 which if i carried across my ram to my new build would net me either a 10600kf or a ryzen 3600 plus a motherboard.

Any input from you guys would be gratefully received.

cheers.

19 minutes ago, nickd_games said:

So im looking to upgrade my little ITX rig, i'm currently running a 6600k with 16gb of 2666mhz ram and a GTX1070. I play a lot of cpu bound titles - city builders, simulations, strategies, along with the odd big budget AAA game and a bit of VR - mostly just beatsaber and my poor 6600k is really struggling to keep up.

My question is, should i upgrade my current platform and buy a 6700k - approx £150 used and try and get another year or 2 out of it, or should i just bite the bullet and upgrade to something a little more modern - I'd be looking to spend around £350-£400 which if i carried across my ram to my new build would net me either a 10600kf or a ryzen 3600 plus a motherboard.

Any input from you guys would be gratefully received.

cheers.

If it was under 90 then I’d say go for the 6700k, but paying 150 for an extra 4 threads isn’t worth it imo

geometry is hard
b550 > x570