What Resolution Should I Render In?

Go to solution Solved by DoubleY,

If you render at 1.333 it will be some weird looking video- I did it once and it was a BAD decision. 

Just render in 1080p.

Hey guys, so I've noticed with rendering I have the choice of a 1.000 aspect ratio or a 1.333 HDV aspect ratio. When using 1.000 1920x1080 fills the screen as it should. However if I switch it to 1.333 HDV 1920x1080 does not and 1440x1080 does. Will this degrade the quality in anyway to render in this resolution? Also will it decrease file size? I'm trying to do anything I can to reduce the 2 hour render time I am currently at without degrading quality so any help would be appreciated!

If you render at 1.333 it will be some weird looking video- I did it once and it was a BAD decision. 

Just render in 1080p.

Just render in 1080p.

Okay thank you :)

You're specifically changing the pixel aspect ratio. So you're pixels are wider. That's why 1440x1080 fills the same space as 1920x1080. This is called anamorphic widescreen, and is used to get widescreen, using the same, 4:3 aspect ratio. If you set up your sequence in Premiere, for example, as anamorphic widescreen (which is actually the default 1080p preset for Premiere), it will render out fine at those same settings. You won't get the stretch mentioned above. If you're source video isn't anamorphic though (which it probably isn't), I'm not sure if it will degrade quality in any way. I did it once and it seemed to work fine somehow. The 1920x1080 footage fit into the 1440x1080 sequence fine. This might technically decrease your render time as there are fewer pixels to render; they're just wider pixels. However, I doubt it's appreciable at all, so it's probably advisable to stick with square pixels as digital cameras record square nowadays. You can try it out though, and see if it helps.

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

You're specifically changing the pixel aspect ratio. So you're pixels are wider. That's why 1440x1080 fills the same space as 1920x1080. This is called anamorphic widescreen, and is used to get widescreen, using the same, 4:3 aspect ratio. If you set up your sequence in Premiere, for example, as anamorphic widescreen (which is actually the default 1080p preset for Premiere), it will render out fine at those same settings. You won't get the stretch mentioned above. If you're source video isn't anamorphic though (which it probably isn't), I'm not sure if it will degrade quality in any way. I did it once and it seemed to work fine somehow. The 1920x1080 footage fit into the 1440x1080 sequence fine. This might technically decrease your render time as there are fewer pixels to render; they're just wider pixels. However, I doubt it's appreciable at all, so it's probably advisable to stick with square pixels as digital cameras record square nowadays. You can try it out though, and see if it helps.

Thanks for the info :) I think I'll just stick with the square pixel ratio as you said. It's already set-up that way so not much point in changing it.

Well what are you dealing with as in whats the sources specs.

Well what are you dealing with as in whats the sources specs.

The source video is 1920x1080.

1920x1080 at 1:1 The 1:1.333 for for a DV camera well HDV as it says which you likely dont have.

1920x1080 at 1:1 The 1:1.333 for for a DV camera well HDV as it says which you likely dont have.

I do not. So 1:1 would probably what the source video is at.

I do not. So 1:1 would probably what the source video is at.

yes it would be that. The only time 1080p is not 1:1 is with a 4:3 video that they choose not to pillarbox which is more uncommon now days.