Need new 1080p 144Hz display

RodrigoRS

Hello!

I'm looking for a new 1080p 144hz monitor to replace an old 24' TV (1366x768) that I use as my daily display. As you can see, almost anything will be an upgrade and I know almost nothing about the subject. I don't want the best of the best, just something good that will hold up (quality) through time.

Looking online I found a MSI Optix MAG24C and MSI Optix MAG27C for almost the same price. The question is, is it worth it? Would I get more eye strain from the bigger screen?

I'm at 0,7-0,8m from the screen in my desk so I don't know if increasing the size of it would be good or bad.

For the last question, do you recommend another monitor up to $300-$400? Is the MSI (regardless of the size) acceptable?

Thanks to all.

Edit: Options that I saw for around the same price are the G24C/G27C, G24C4/G27C5, G27CA

I would like an all black (or closer to it) monitor. With the less amount of colors, rgb, etc.

This is a decent deal: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B083K17XLH?tag=pcp0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

The ones that you listed are all VA panels. The one above is a IPS panel. Get a second monitor depends you. Do you think you need it?

Do you use Discord? If so, get it. You can probably use the second monitor as a Discord monitor (that's what I do).

People generally recommend 24" for 1080p monitors, but I have used 27" before, and it's honestly not that bad for pixel density. If you want the best quality picture and the smoothest gameplay, go for a 24" 1080p 144Hz+ monitor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

4 minutes ago, Krosis said:

This is a decent deal: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B083K17XLH?tag=pcp0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

The ones that you listed are all VA panels. The one above is a IPS panel. Get a second monitor depends you. Do you think you need it?

Do you use Discord? If so, get it. You can probably use the second monitor as a Discord monitor (that's what I do).

People generally recommend 24" for 1080p monitors, but I have used 27" before, and it's honestly not that bad for pixel density. If you want the best quality picture and the smoothest gameplay, go for a 24" 1080p 144Hz+ monitor.

Thanks for the answer. I was not reffering at having a second monitor but if I should look for another one (as you recommended).

I don't tend to play FPS but more strategy based games and RPGs as Cities Skylines, Age of Empires 2 DE, WoW, HoI4, Civilization, etc.

8 minutes ago, RodrigoRS said:

Thanks for the answer. I was not reffering at having a second monitor but if I should look for another one (as you recommended).

I don't tend to play FPS but more strategy based games and RPGs as Cities Skylines, Age of Empires 2 DE, WoW, HoI4, Civilization, etc.

So do I! IPS is even more important for you then. 144Hz is a must for smooth game play regardless of the game. 

What GPU do you have btw? You might even consider looking for a 1440p monitor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

5 minutes ago, Krosis said:

So do I! IPS is even more important for you then. 144Hz is a must for smooth game play regardless of the game. 

What GPU do you have btw? You might even consider looking for a 1440p monitor.

I have a Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 2060 . I was planning the upgrade for a long time, buying the parts one by one but the GPU crysis/shortage hit me hard so I think I won't be able to upgrade my GPU until 2022, at least. So, I think, 1440p would be a bit to far for my rig, right now. And, to be honest, 1080p will be already a great improvement from 1366x768 60hz.

2 minutes ago, RodrigoRS said:

I have a Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 2060 . I was planning the upgrade for a long time, buying the parts one by one but the GPU crysis/shortage hit me hard so I think I won't be able to upgrade my GPU until 2022, at least. So, I think, 1440p would be a bit to far for my rig, right now. And, to be honest, 1080p will be already a great improvement from 1366x768 60hz.

That's fair. Yeah, go for a 1080p 144Hz this year, but next year, consider upgrading to a 1440p 144Hz display after upgrading your GPU.

It's going to be a game changer for you!

21 minutes ago, Krosis said:

That's fair. Yeah, go for a 1080p 144Hz this year, but next year, consider upgrading to a 1440p 144Hz display after upgrading your GPU.

It's going to be a game changer for you!

Thanks again, dude! You were really helpful. I think I'll skip this generation GPUs and wait for the next one in 2023. My RTX 2060 should be plenty for my needs in 1080p, I think.

One more question, is there a lot of difference between VA, IPS or TN?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 9:18 AM, RodrigoRS said:

Thanks again, dude! You were really helpful. I think I'll skip this generation GPUs and wait for the next one in 2023. My RTX 2060 should be plenty for my needs in 1080p, I think.

One more question, is there a lot of difference between VA, IPS or TN?

Sorry for the late reply! Personally, I would go with the IPS if possible. If you can find a good deal on the other two, I would go with VA over TN.

So, it would be IPS > VA > TN.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, Krosis said:

Sorry for the late reply! Personally, I would go with the IPS if possible. If you can find a good deal on the other two, I would go with VA over TN.

So, it would be IPS > VA > TN.

It's okey, man. I bought one and got it yesterday. It's the ViewSonic XG2405. It's cheap and seems quite acceptable for my needs.