Burning smell from GPU

Dribble
Go to solution Solved by Dribble,
On 3/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, thepoorgamer said:

I don't know what's wrong. In the meantime, it might not be a good idea to run your system, especially if you aren't paying attention to it. Something you might try to confirm it is the gpu is to take it out of your system and boot the computer on the integrated graphics and see if you still smell it. 

I think the problem is solved for now, The smell was pretty bad today(most of the days it has been really faint) i disassembled the whole pc and its definitely from the Psu, the blue light on the psu fan was not working either, i have ordered a new one and  hope that was the only cause but i swear it smelled like it came from the GPU,could most likely be the gpu fan sucking in the smell that made me think that. Cheers and thanks for the reply.

Hi, I've got my 1 year old i3 8100 build with an gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb and from the last two days whenever i turn the pc on my room slowly fills with a weird smell doesn't fully smell like burning plastic but is definitely  is something new that I've never experienced before. Upon further inspection it seems that the only place the smell is coming from is the GPU I've checked the the whole pc ,psu, socket wires, extension cords. The pc works fine nothing has changed since I had first got it. temps and performance is nothing out of the ordinary. I am a student so simply replacing the card is not an option for me right now but i wanna stay cautious would love your guy's advice on how i should proceed.

You can try cleaning the card. Pull it out, take the cooler off, dust it, repaste, reassemble. While you have the cooler off you could inspect the PCB for anything obvious.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I don't know what's wrong. In the meantime, it might not be a good idea to run your system, especially if you aren't paying attention to it. Something you might try to confirm it is the gpu is to take it out of your system and boot the computer on the integrated graphics and see if you still smell it. 

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

On 3/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, thepoorgamer said:

I think the problem is solved for now, The smell was pretty bad today(most of the days it has been really faint) i disassembled the whole pc and its definitely from the Psu, the blue light on the psu fan was not working either, i have ordered a new one and  hope that was the only cause but i swear it smelled like it came from the GPU,could most likely be the gpu fan sucking in the smell that made me think that. Cheers and thanks for the reply.