Ryzen Base Clock Fluctuating Wildly

Voicetek

Hey guys

So I just finished a build for a friend of mine. It's a Ryzen 3700x paired with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 motherboard.

It seemed to be running fine at first, but as I was doing some more setup and installing software, I noticed that the fans would ramp up and down every 5 seconds or so. It sounded like it was running something in the background, but it was idling. I checked the base clock speeds and saw that it was jumping between 3.6 GHz and 4.5 GHz back and forth every several seconds or so. I used some programs to look at temps and monitor clock speeds, and it was showing the same thing, but temps seemed to be ok.

I booted into the BIOS and decided to disable the Core Performance Boost. While in BIOS though, I noticed that CPU was running fine, fans were quiet and clock speed was holding steady at 3.6 GHz. I booted back into Windows without changing anything and got the same crazy fluctuations again. I went back into my BIOS and disabled CPB, and now everything is running fine. Clock speed is holding nice and steady within Windows, and temps are great and fans are quiet.

Here's the thing though, I really don't want to disable a feature or lose performance. Not sure what could be causing the crazy fluctuations, and don't want to leave the system running like that. Could it be a result of something else? Could it be an issue with my CPU or motherboard? I built an almost identical system for myself a while back and never experienced this issue.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm up to try anything really, just kinda at a loss on what to do.

Thanks!

i have a similar issue  with an intel. if it just shows up just in task manager, its fine. but if it shows up in other programs. there is something wrong

I'm afraid that's just how it is with ryzen cpus, you can disable some boost related stuff in bios as you've done or try tweaking fancurves, also in bios, which is annoying as you'll need to boot into windows every time to see if it has the desired effect. 

Tbh if turning off precision boost or whatever it is you turned off fixes it, I'd leave it for now, the performance loss is probably minimal, if there even is one. (it's mostly a gimmick, not a real feature as far im concerned) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity