Need some guidance in regards to upgrade my system

Go to solution Solved by Hon Leung,

10 hours ago, Darklord96 said:

2C 4T extra

2 extra cores dont matter much when talking about 8 cores, especially when you are not doing server-grade stuff. Givng a consumer CPU more cores also reduces its overall clockspeed, e.g. i5-7200U has 2 cores 4 threads and i5-8250U has 4 core 8 threads but their performance is similar.

The thing about not going Intel right now is because 11th gen is around the corner and this time (2020-2021) every chip manufacturer seem to be offering extra performance leaps compared to previous generations (Nvidia, AMD CPUs & GPUs, Apple, and according to rumors, Intel); So if you need Intel and you could wait, I would recommend 11th gen which likely has a similar price point as 10th gen; And if you cant wait, Id recommand Ryzen.

11 hours ago, Darklord96 said:

if the higher clock speed of ram really matter for Ryzen, how much performance increment will i get in my workloads

Highly depends on the CPU and workload, but Id say 3-10%. But you can always leave that on the table until you hit a good time to upgrade your memory modules.

Current System Specs: 

CPU: i7 6700k

Mobo: Asus Prime z270-p

RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ( 3 sticks of 2666Mhz and 1 stick of 2400 Mhz ), bought 3 stick after sometime 

PSU: Thermal take DPSG 750W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo 500gb

Hdd: WD Green 1Tb 

GPU: Gigabyte 1660ti 

Monitor: HP Z30i 30" ( 2560x1600, 70 hz)

Cooler: Stock

Hey Guys! I want to ask Which parts should i choose to upgrade my system.

I am an Engineer/Freelancer by profession and use these software like almost 12 hrs a day. ( Solid woks, Fusion 360, Rhinoceros, AutoCAD ), Also i am learning Adobe suite ( Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc )to enhance my  skills which will help me a lot in my freelance product design career and also i am working on blender ( planning to use that for mostly renderings in like 0.5- 1year). For Gaming I normally play Single Player AAA  games. Now with the increase in workload on big project, i think i might need to update my system, which will give me some advantage in mostly working ( gaming in not my biggest concern at the moment ) 

The Choices I have: 

Scenario 1:

CPU: i9 10850k ( 531 usd ) 

Mobo: Any Good Mobo for it 

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s

Other Components: Old Components ( except i will change my 2400mhz Ram to 2600mhz )

Scenario 2:

CPU: 5800x ( 578usd ) 

Mobo: Any good mobo for it 

Other Components:  Old Components ( except i will change my 2400mhz Ram to 2600mhz )

Scenario 3: 

CPU: i7 10700k

Mobo: Good mobo ( definitely it will be cheaper then the i9 one ) 

Other Components:  Old Components ( except i will change my 2400mhz Ram to 2600mhz )

Questions:

1. I will upgrade my GPU in future when the stock is available ( Which one should i choose ? ).
  2. Should I save my money by choosing scenario 3 and spend that on GPU.
  3. Should I use my old rams ( the 3 2666 mhz are 1.5 years old ) and will change my low mhz ram to match the other 3 ? Or should i Change all of them to get the higher clock speed one.
  4. Can you guys recommend me good mobo for each scenario 

Note:

Money is not an issue at all. but all i want is to utilize it in a best way possible. so that i will be able to work on it for 2-3 years or maybe more. I just don't want to overspend my money. 

Kind Regards 

For option 2, 2666MHz (although you wrote 2600MHz but I believe that is not conventional) is probably not a good choice for a Ryzen system. I would recommend going 3200MHz or above. You are leaving performance on the table if you use standard speed memories for newer AMD CPUs. Depending on your software (check core usage and multi-threaded workloads), you could also benefit from going Ryzen 9 5950x.

1. RTX 3070 to RTX 3090 would be a good choice. Going RTX 3080 seems more of a balanced choice between price and performance. You could also choose the AMD equivalent (RX 6900XT).

2. If you are going Intel, you might want to wait for i7 11th gen.

3. 2666MHz is fine if you are going Intel (from my experience in gaming and editing).

4. Too early to decide given that CPU has not been chosen yet.

Technical Consultation: Website

My Set-ups:

• Daily: iPad Air 5 | M1 (8) | 8GB | 64GB | 1640p 10.9" | iPadOS 16
  • Work (2024): Framework Laptop | R7-7840HS (8/16) | 16GB DDR5 | 512GB-S | 1504p 13.5" | EndeavourOS | Windows 11
  • Gaming: Aurora R13 | i7-12700F (8:4/20) + RTX 3080 10GB | 32GB DDR5 | 512GB-S + 1TB-H | 1440p 17"+24"+17" | Windows 11
  • Virtualization: Mini PC | i7-7820HQ (4/8) + Quadro P400 2GB | 16GB DDR4 | 64GB-e + 750GB-S VMware Client vSphere ESXi 7
  • Storage: DS418j | RTD1296 (4) | 2GB DDR4 | 32TB-H | Web Client | DiskStation Manager 7.0
  • Storage (2025): DS1522+ | R1600 (2/4) | 16GB DDR4 | 64TB-H SHR | Web Client | DiskStation Manager 7.0
  • Emulation: Steam Deck | Zen2-APU 0405 (4/8) | 16GB DDR5 | 128GB-S + 512GB-e | 800p 7" | Windows 11

33 minutes ago, Darklord96 said:

Scenario 2:

CPU: 5800x ( 578usd ) 

Mobo: Any good mobo for it 

this is likely your best option. 5000 series has a great balance of multicore for CAD and single core for solidworks so it's the strongest contender of the choices. 

34 minutes ago, Darklord96 said:
  • I will upgrade my GPU in future when the stock is available ( Which one should i choose ? ).
  • Should I save my money by choosing scenario 3 and spend that on GPU.
  • Should I use my old rams ( the 3 2666 mhz are 1.5 years old ) and will change my low mhz ram to match the other 3 ? Or should i Change all of them to get the higher clock speed one.
  • Can you guys recommend me good mobo for each scenario 

1 - going from a 1660ti you'll likely want to step into 3060 range for AAA titles. There are more and more tensor core features coming to pro workflows in Solidworks and definitely in CAD so something RTX or higher will give you those futureproof features. 

2 - I would ignore the GPU for now, market is an absolute mess. waiting for the next crypto value drop will flood the used market with 2080's which will push down pricing for everything else as well. I'd wait and see where prices end up. 

3 - There's a ton of misinformation floating around from gaming central testing who have never touched CAD. Ram speed does not have a noticeable impact on CAD workflow outside model load times (which is heavily bottlenecked by storage so even that's a minor difference) 2666mhz will leave some gaming performance on the table but capacity is way more important. In the future a 32GB kit of 3200 or 3600mhz will open up some more performance but it will have near zero difference for your work. 

4 - for the Ryzen rig, pretty much any B550 board would be ideal. Finding one with 2 NVME slots would give you an easy upgrade path for storage when more and more NVME get cheaper and games get bigger. 

on a side note a NH-D15s is pretty overkill for the processor unless you plan to push manual overclocks and voltages. NH-U12A is more than enough for that style build to save you a couple $.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

8 hours ago, McPlayerTeam said:

For option 2, 2666MHz (although you wrote 2600MHz but I believe that is not conventional) is probably not a good choice for a Ryzen system. I would recommend going 3200MHz or above. You are leaving performance on the table if you use standard speed memories for newer AMD CPUs. Depending on your software (check core usage and multi-threaded workloads), you could also benefit from going Ryzen 9 5950x.

1. RTX 3070 to RTX 3090 would be a good choice. Going RTX 3080 seems more of a balanced choice between price and performance. You could also choose the AMD equivalent (RX 6900XT).

2. If you are going Intel, you might want to wait for i7 11th gen.

3. 2666MHz is fine if you are going Intel (from my experience in gaming and editing).

4. Too early to decide given that CPU has not been chosen yet.

Thank you for the reply.

Agreeing on all your point, but wondering if the higher clock speed of ram really matter for Ryzen, how much performance increment will i get in my workloads ? considering that i have to sell my old ram for approximately half the price and buy new of higher clock.

8 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

this is likely your best option. 5000 series has a great balance of multicore for CAD and single core for solidworks so it's the strongest contender of the choices. 

1 - going from a 1660ti you'll likely want to step into 3060 range for AAA titles. There are more and more tensor core features coming to pro workflows in Solidworks and definitely in CAD so something RTX or higher will give you those futureproof features. 

2 - I would ignore the GPU for now, market is an absolute mess. waiting for the next crypto value drop will flood the used market with 2080's which will push down pricing for everything else as well. I'd wait and see where prices end up. 

3 - There's a ton of misinformation floating around from gaming central testing who have never touched CAD. Ram speed does not have a noticeable impact on CAD workflow outside model load times (which is heavily bottlenecked by storage so even that's a minor difference) 2666mhz will leave some gaming performance on the table but capacity is way more important. In the future a 32GB kit of 3200 or 3600mhz will open up some more performance but it will have near zero difference for your work. 

4 - for the Ryzen rig, pretty much any B550 board would be ideal. Finding one with 2 NVME slots would give you an easy upgrade path for storage when more and more NVME get cheaper and games get bigger. 

on a side note a NH-D15s is pretty overkill for the processor unless you plan to push manual overclocks and voltages. NH-U12A is more than enough for that style build to save you a couple $.

Really Appreciate you detailed reply. 

A question that i have in mind is that, Did you recommend Ryzen because of its future proofing ( i can upgrade that to 5900x or 5950x after 2-3 years if needed), Because what i can see is that the i9 have 2C 4T extra in the cheaper price point, or did i miss something. 

10 hours ago, Darklord96 said:

2C 4T extra

2 extra cores dont matter much when talking about 8 cores, especially when you are not doing server-grade stuff. Givng a consumer CPU more cores also reduces its overall clockspeed, e.g. i5-7200U has 2 cores 4 threads and i5-8250U has 4 core 8 threads but their performance is similar.

The thing about not going Intel right now is because 11th gen is around the corner and this time (2020-2021) every chip manufacturer seem to be offering extra performance leaps compared to previous generations (Nvidia, AMD CPUs & GPUs, Apple, and according to rumors, Intel); So if you need Intel and you could wait, I would recommend 11th gen which likely has a similar price point as 10th gen; And if you cant wait, Id recommand Ryzen.

if the higher clock speed of ram really matter for Ryzen, how much performance increment will i get in my workloads

Highly depends on the CPU and workload, but Id say 3-10%. But you can always leave that on the table until you hit a good time to upgrade your memory modules.

Technical Consultation: Website

My Set-ups:

• Daily: iPad Air 5 | M1 (8) | 8GB | 64GB | 1640p 10.9" | iPadOS 16
  • Work (2024): Framework Laptop | R7-7840HS (8/16) | 16GB DDR5 | 512GB-S | 1504p 13.5" | EndeavourOS | Windows 11
  • Gaming: Aurora R13 | i7-12700F (8:4/20) + RTX 3080 10GB | 32GB DDR5 | 512GB-S + 1TB-H | 1440p 17"+24"+17" | Windows 11
  • Virtualization: Mini PC | i7-7820HQ (4/8) + Quadro P400 2GB | 16GB DDR4 | 64GB-e + 750GB-S VMware Client vSphere ESXi 7
  • Storage: DS418j | RTD1296 (4) | 2GB DDR4 | 32TB-H | Web Client | DiskStation Manager 7.0
  • Storage (2025): DS1522+ | R1600 (2/4) | 16GB DDR4 | 64TB-H SHR | Web Client | DiskStation Manager 7.0
  • Emulation: Steam Deck | Zen2-APU 0405 (4/8) | 16GB DDR5 | 128GB-S + 512GB-e | 800p 7" | Windows 11

Really Appreciate you detailed reply. 

A question that i have in mind is that, Did you recommend Ryzen because of its future proofing ( i can upgrade that to 5900x or 5950x after 2-3 years if needed), Because what i can see is that the i9 have 2C 4T extra in the cheaper price point, or did i miss something. 

Part of it is future upgrades, another reason is Instruction Per Clock rates are higher than the i9. 

Both systems are at the last compatible socket so anything available for upgrades later would be a long term solution compared to the top of the parts list components now which require a full system upgrade later. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Thanks Both of you for your time and detailed reply. I think i should wait a little for the 11th gen then i will decide.