Realtek 2.5 NIC problems

Speedbird

Hello,

Recently I upgraded my PC to a Ryzen 5 5600X CPU and a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 motherboard, which has an onboard Realtek 2.5 Gigabit NIC, which seems to be quite problematic under high load. My old Asus Q87M-E board with an Intel I217-LM was able to sustain close to gigabit on Speedtest, and download speeds on Steam and Chrome were close too. However, with the new motherboard, any large load seems to completely overload the NIC. I can be in a Discord call without a problem, but as soon as I start a large download in the background, audio keeps cutting out. Not to mention I can never go over 100 megabits on any download or upload, and even these often result in the connection dropping. Even Speedtest doesn't run as it should, the UI freezes as it tests. I'm running Windows 10 20H2 with the latest driver from Gigabyte, power saving is disabled. I've thought about getting a PCIe NIC with an Intel 82574L chipset instead, or just replacing the board altogether with an Asus B550-F for example, as that has Intel NIC. Does anyone have other suggestions, or could my board be defective?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Check your cabling and check what speed the NIC is actually connected at. It might be negotiating down to 100Mbit.

1 minute ago, icase81 said:

Check your cabling and check what speed the NIC is actually connected at. It might be negotiating down to 100Mbit.

Network adapter properties reports it as running at 1 gigabit. I have one cable running from the computer to the port on the wall.

I should also note that this is in a university dorm room, so I can't run advanced network diagnosis. Really just trying to see if others have had problems with these NICs.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.