Dead RTX 3070?

dDave64

Been dealing with an issue all day.

Randomly, yesterday, my computer started having issues. I’ll try and provide as much detail as possible.

I upgraded to an RTX 3070 from an RTX 2060 Super. The 2060 super worked fine for a full year. I sold it to my brother after upgrading to the 3070.

Specs at start of this venture.

-ASUS TUF X-570 plus motherboard

-Ryzen 5 3600x

-16gb (2x8gb) G skill DDR4 3600

-EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra

-Corsair RM650 power supply

--7 120mm case fans (6x rgb)

The computer would run stable basically forever when idle or low usage. Once it’s put under a heavy GPU load of any kind (gaming, benchmarking, mining, etc) it will crash within 20 minutes, usually within 10. This just started happening yesterday, I installed the card on Monday and had no issues at all until yesterday. No performance degradation though, it just crashes randomly.

Depending on the task, windows event viewer would tell me that DWM.exe has crashed, heaven.exe has crashed, etc.

This afternoon, after messing around, I am no longer able to get the card to post at all. I am positive I didn’t do anything to damage the card, I’ve been building for 15 years. My motherboard just hangs on the light for VGA during the post process. It does pass the DRAM and CPU lights before hanging on the indicator light for VGA. Everything powers on but I never get a post.

Things I’ve tried.

1. Verified voltages with power supply tester and inside UEFi

-card was working but crashing at this stage
2. newest BIOS (old one was from 2019)

3.  new chipset drivers

4. Reset CMOS

5. run DDU in safe mode 

6. install recent 461.51 hotfix

7. Mine crypto with CPU only, not gpu, no crashes after 30 minutes.

8. test heaven benchmark with each stick of RAM in each slot. Would always crash within 20 minutes at varying lengths of time.

—-card stopped posting at all after this for whatever reason 

9. Reset CMOS again

10. memtest86 (4 passes, 0 errors)

11. Install new Corsair RM850x power supply

-still no post

12. Test with old 8500gt gpu (system boots every time with this card)

It’s nice to know the system boots with the 8500gt but it’s concerning that the RTX 3070 won’t post at all at this point. I’ve been careful with it but something is obviously up with it, no?

Just for reference. The graphics card was never run above 70*C and I have very adequate case air cooling.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I’m thinking I need to RMA the card to EVGA.

2 hours ago, dDave64 said:

Been dealing with an issue all day.

Randomly, yesterday, my computer started having issues. I’ll try and provide as much detail as possible.

I upgraded to an RTX 3070 from an RTX 2060 Super. The 2060 super worked fine for a full year. I sold it to my brother after upgrading to the 3070.

Specs at start of this venture.

-ASUS TUF X-570 plus motherboard

-Ryzen 5 3600x

-16gb (2x8gb) G skill DDR4 3600

-EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra

-Corsair RM650 power supply

--7 120mm case fans (6x rgb)

The computer would run stable basically forever when idle or low usage. Once it’s put under a heavy GPU load of any kind (gaming, benchmarking, mining, etc) it will crash within 20 minutes, usually within 10. This just started happening yesterday, I installed the card on Monday and had no issues at all until yesterday. No performance degradation though, it just crashes randomly.

Depending on the task, windows event viewer would tell me that DWM.exe has crashed, heaven.exe has crashed, etc.

This afternoon, after messing around, I am no longer able to get the card to post at all. I am positive I didn’t do anything to damage the card, I’ve been building for 15 years. My motherboard just hangs on the light for VGA during the post process. It does pass the DRAM and CPU lights before hanging on the indicator light for VGA. Everything powers on but I never get a post.

Things I’ve tried.

1. Verified voltages with power supply tester and inside UEFi

-card was working but crashing at this stage
2. newest BIOS (old one was from 2019)

3.  new chipset drivers

4. Reset CMOS

5. run DDU in safe mode 

6. install recent 461.51 hotfix

7. Mine crypto with CPU only, not gpu, no crashes after 30 minutes.

8. test heaven benchmark with each stick of RAM in each slot. Would always crash within 20 minutes at varying lengths of time.

—-card stopped posting at all after this for whatever reason 

9. Reset CMOS again

10. memtest86 (4 passes, 0 errors)

11. Install new Corsair RM850x power supply

-still no post

12. Test with old 8500gt gpu (system boots every time with this card)

It’s nice to know the system boots with the 8500gt but it’s concerning that the RTX 3070 won’t post at all at this point. I’ve been careful with it but something is obviously up with it, no?

Just for reference. The graphics card was never run above 70*C and I have very adequate case air cooling.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I would RMA even if you got it to post. Something is obviously wrong with it. Better safe than sorry, right? Good luck, man. 

2 hours ago, dDave64 said:

The computer would run stable basically forever when idle or low usage. Once it’s put under a heavy GPU load of any kind (gaming, benchmarking, mining, etc) it will crash within 20 minutes, usually within 10

typical psu issue - while the psu should definitely be able to handle your card something must be wrong with it. try either to RMA it or get otherwise an adequate psu to test. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

55 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

typical psu issue - while the psu should definitely be able to handle your card something must be wrong with it. try either to RMA it or get otherwise an adequate psu to test. 

I got an 850w Corsair unit today. I’m intending to keep it. Overhead is a good thing.

1 hour ago, ThaDon said:

I would RMA even if you got it to post. Something is obviously wrong with it. Better safe than sorry, right? Good luck, man. 

Yeah. That’s what I’m thinking too. 

Hopefully a replacement or repaired card would be ok.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:15 PM, dDave64 said:

I'm also having issues with the exact same model of 3070. Hopefully things pan out for you.

• 1 year later...

Did you buy this card new? Maybe somebody flashed the wrong GPU BIOS onto the card (hence flashing a MSI bios onto a EVGA card). And if you have solved the root of the problem, how did you do it?