Logitech MX Mouse Material Restoration?

I've been using the MX Ergo for about 3-4 years now (since it launched) and the soft rubber has deformed as per the image, (oils and stuff) Is there something I can do to partially restore and prevent further wear on it? What would you guys recommend?

Here's what I tried:

Rubbing alcohol with a paper towel and gently rubbing the afflicted areas, the result was it got better but only because I wound up removing small bits of the first layer of the rubber, revealing a lower layer.

MouseIssue.thumb.jpg.ea200756466cc9ade4b9069e7335463d.jpg

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

At risk of sounding like a non-solution, I found that when the rubber coating starts to deteriorate like that, there is really no saving it, and I will strip that rubber layer off by rubbing it hard with some paper towels soaked in some strong isopropyl alcohol, leaving it with a glossy plastic. The more gooey it gets, the easier it is to get rid of all the rubber.

I should add that it seems the plastic underneath that rubber layer is not the same color as the rest of the mouse, so if you do this, your mouse will look funky.

3 hours ago, nelsonpong said:

At risk of sounding like a non-solution, I found that when the rubber coating starts to deteriorate like that, there is really no saving it, and I will strip that rubber layer off by rubbing it hard with some paper towels soaked in some strong isopropyl alcohol, leaving it with a glossy plastic. The more gooey it gets, the easier it is to get rid of all the rubber.

I should add that it seems the plastic underneath that rubber layer is not the same color as the rest of the mouse, so if you do this, your mouse will look funky.

That's what I feared, how many coats are usually there and in the case of the mouse you used, did any annoying ridges appear as a result of removing the rubber? (I mean mostly along the corners where the rubber & "normally visible" plastic form a seam. I'd love to see a picture of how it worked!

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I say deploy your backup mouse and take this puppy apart and isolate the afflicted piece of plastic.  The rubber is only going to get worse with time so you may as well remove all of it.  Rubber is weird, sometimes the cheap stuff just starts rotting way too soon.  It's got the CCP-Virus you know -- (CrappyChineseProducts-Virus an almost unavoidable affliction nowadays - it's so hard for the rest of us to compete with slave labor)  Rub/scrape off ALL the rubber surface while listening to an audio book because it is going to take some time.  Use whatever solvent and scrubbing device it takes.  Rubbing alcohol may work for you and acetone may be too much.  You could touch a dab of it on the underside and see what it does to the plastic there.  Once you get ALL the rubber off and the surface is is all clean, it should be a 100% hard surface to start adding stuff to.  Any suggestions out there on what to apply?  There should be lots of options, some of which might be way-cool. 🙂 multiple-layers of enamel paint until all the irregularities smooth out?  flex-seal? (just kidding), glued on fabric/faux-fur, dozens of thoughtfully selected stickers?,  I'd avoid anything metallic since it is a wireless mouse and the rf signal needs to get through.  Otherwise, the sky's the limit.  cover it with hundreds of googly-eyes and covered with resin?  I wish I knew of a paint/enamel/resin that had 1mm thick layers when applied.  Then you could get to smooth quickly.   Perhaps someone near-by is more experienced with applying stuff.  Make use of their painting experience. A trip to Hobby Lobby would also likely offer some more ideas/solutions.

One more option is to just enjoy the process of watching the rubber deteriorate.  (you could even do a regular periodic blog about it until Logitech offers you a new one in trade for you taking it down. 😉  ) It's sort of has a war-seasoned look.  Would fit in more in a Fallout setting.   :-

Then there's 3d scanning/reverse-engineering the part and 3d-printing a new one if you feel REALLY ambitious.  If Logitech had it's coolness factor up a few more levels they would have the file out there on the net to download and get creative with.  Now that would rock.

end of line...
🦊

On 2/19/2021 at 9:45 PM, Weak1ings said:

That's what I feared, how many coats are usually there and in the case of the mouse you used, did any annoying ridges appear as a result of removing the rubber? (I mean mostly along the corners where the rubber & "normally visible" plastic form a seam. I'd love to see a picture of how it worked!

My items with deteriorating rubber were game controllers, and they all had one layer of rubber on the back of the controller that needed to be scrubbed off. There are no ridges to be seen; I would go as far as to say it looks factory new, but that is because the plastic underneath the rubber was the same color plastic used on the front of the controller. I would mention that these controllers are extremely old and the rubber could be smeared using bare fingers.

If your mouse does not feel tacky to the touch, keep using it as normal until it becomes annoying to use, to the point where just touching it makes you want to wash your hands, at which point it would be time to scrub the old rubber off for good.