GPU fan stopped working

phoon
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
3 minutes ago, phoon said:

Yeah did that a second ago works fine now thank you.

Although I didn't have some WD40 I had gun treatment it says it cleans, lubricates and protects.

You think that's fine?

~Snipped Photo~

Just clean it up from the magnetic poles and make sure the lubricant gets inside the hole. Looks like one of those sleeve style bearings. Just clean the underside of the fan with the axle that goes inside the hole. 

I would advise against WD40 as it's not really a lubricant, its meant to displace water hence the name; Water-Displacing and 40 for the 40th formula. 

Silicone spray can also be used as that is also generally safe around electrical components. 

Heard a whistling noise from my PC thank God it wasn't my harddrive. Opened it up and saw that one of my GTX 1080 strix fans was not spinning it would for a split second, screech and stop.

Disassembled the GPU shroud and I tried to spin the fan with my finger, it doesn't keep spinning like others it just stops.

Anyway I can fix this?

I already ordered a replacement fan but I don't feel like waiting a month you know how Chinese shipping is.

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

Try and see if you can disassemble the fan from the hub. Is it a regular sleeve style type bearing or double ball bearing?? I'd try and use 3-in-1 multi-purpose oil to lubricate the bearing and see if it can spin freely. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Try and see if you can disassemble the fan from the hub. Is it a regular sleeve style type bearing or double ball bearing?? I'd try and use 3-in-1 multi-purpose oil to lubricate the bearing and see if it can spin freely. 

Although I didn't have some WD40 I had gun treatment it says it cleans, lubricates and protects.

You think that's fine?

16131826367085763878820452813386.jpg

My PC is a fast boyo:

3 minutes ago, phoon said:

You think that's fine?

~Snipped Photo~

Just clean it up from the magnetic poles and make sure the lubricant gets inside the hole. Looks like one of those sleeve style bearings. Just clean the underside of the fan with the axle that goes inside the hole. 

I would advise against WD40 as it's not really a lubricant, its meant to displace water hence the name; Water-Displacing and 40 for the 40th formula. 

Silicone spray can also be used as that is also generally safe around electrical components. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

You live and you learn. God damn thank you man.

I appreciate the help!

My PC is a fast boyo:

5 minutes ago, phoon said:

You live and you learn. God damn thank you man.

I appreciate the help!

No problem!! My dad has also told me with WD-40 (at least when working on cars and other mechanical things), it will gunk up and lose its effectiveness if used as a lubricant, also create more friction and you don't really want to do that when you can't really clean the inside of the fan motor hub!!! Unless you use something like a pipe cleaner.