Windows radomly closing software

Inesrc

Hey guys, I am currently running a gaming rig, that has the past few days crashing/closing software and games randomly. I thought it was probably a Winows update issue, so I just re-installed the OS in hopes that everything would be back to normal. The problem is... It didn't. So after some research I began to think that faulty ram was my issue. I tested all the ram sticks, and it turned out that one of them was actually corrupted. I used mainly Asus Dram Check and the Windows Memory Diagnosis Tool. Also my Bios was lighting up the orange/yellow led which means that ram was the issue. I removed the faulty one and for my surprise nothing has changed. It's actually getting even more weird, for example. If I try to open league or other games, it opens, closes, loads, closes, eventually loads I try to enter the game and crashes. I'm really stuck here, could really use someones help. 

Current setup:

MOBO: Asus Maximus XI Hero

CPU I7-9700k 3.6gz

RAM : 32GB Tridentz Rgb ( only using 16GB now because of the faulty sticks )

AIO: NZXT KRAKEN X62 ( Temps are ok )

GPU : GTX 1070ti OC Advanced 

PSU :Corsair RMX 850w

FANS: 6 Thermaltake TT Plus

CASE: Lian Li 011 Dynamic

I appreciate all the help I can get. I've had this rig for 3 years now, and it helped get thru some stuff. Thank you in advance. 

11 minutes ago, Inesrc said:

I removed the faulty one and for my surprise nothing has changed.

Are you sure you removed the faulty module? Have you rerun Windows Memory Diagnostic?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

My windows has started doing exactly the same thing today. I think it's the update.  

I can't even open the settings because that freezes/closes too.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Can test  if it's really hardware problem from live linux USB ...

If it isn't, dual boot linux distro and don't use win 10 unless software doesn't even run through wine. 

If it is, buy a new set of RAM sticks.

If you are not into linux at all... Honestly win 7 still works super for me, I am blessed not to deal with win 10 on daily basis...

29 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Are you sure you removed the faulty module? Have you rerun Windows Memory Diagnostic?

Yes, I did. And it showed that they were ok. 

29 minutes ago, Armakar said:

My windows has started doing exactly the same thing today. I think it's the update.  

I can't even open the settings because that freezes/closes too.

This is so awkward. Reinstalling it from scratch may work, I really don't know at this point 

1 hour ago, Inesrc said:

Yes, I did. And it showed that they were ok.

Your motherboard's recommended memory configuration is DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (2, 4), is your memory currently installed in this configuration? You may also want to try clearing your CMOS, location of this button is displayed on page 2-16 of your manual at https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/E14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Same thing here... after fresh win 10 install on new evo 850, the show starts to beginn xD 

Random mouse Movements and left clicks, closing apps/reopen ....mini/maximize... app freezes...and always that "show Desktop" button -.-

Aaaaaaand.....

WINTRASH's Settings>Update... its gone... no update button or any Text... just the option to few recent Updates.

AMD FX6100 & 970a-g43 & gskill sniper 

(WinDevChannel)

20210211_202252.jpg

7 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

Your motherboard's recommended memory configuration is DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (2, 4), is your memory currently installed in this configuration? You may also want to try clearing your CMOS, location of this button is displayed on page 2-16 of your manual at https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/E14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf.

This is really helpful. Thank you so much. I've actually reinstalled everything from scratch. And for now, it hasn't been shutting down apps randomly. I will try your steps to be sure. Thank you again