144hz monitor running at 143.996hz making it feel choppy and not smooth

thehappymattie

Recently I have been playing games and I have been realizing that it isn’t smooth anymore. I look at my brothers monitor and he has a 144hz monitor as well and when he plays it’s buttery smooth. When I try to set my monitor at 144hz it instead decides to be put as 143.996hz. What’s crazy is that I decided to let my brother connect my monitor to his computer and get this it was buttery smooth! He even checked the advanced display settings and instead of showing at 143.996hz it showed 144.00hz exactly. FYI we are both using DP. I was shocked and then realized it’s not my monitor that’s the problem it’s my computer. I get over 144 frames easily in any game. But it makes it super unplayable when it’s choppy and all of the screen tearing that I’m getting at the moment. And the fact that I paid $200 for that monitor it upsets me that it doesn’t work on my pc. Does anyone know how to fix this if you do please help me. I’m all out of options.

Monitor: MSI Optix MAG24C

Specs:

GeForce G1 Gaming 1070 rev 2.0

Intel i7-9700k

16GB Ram 3600Mhz

My 144hz monitor also shows as being 143 point something in the Display Settings of my pc.

Is your monitor the same make as his?

Are you using the same cables, i.e were you both using the same HDMI or Display Port cables when you conducted your experiment?

So, not swapping between your own set of leads but using the same one to try both monitors?

Are you both using the same Windows version?

If all those things are identical (which I'd be surprised if they are), then it is strange.

But, as I said, mine also registers as being slightly under 144hz so I assumed it's the industry standard.

It does the same for the 60hz version, with it saying 59 point something. 

We are both using DP cables and the windows 10 version I have is 2004 and the windows 10 version my brother has is 20H2. If I change windows versions could that potentially fix that? I have a MSI monitor and he has a Sceptre monitor both at 144hz 

1 hour ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

My 144hz monitor also shows as being 143 point something in the Display Settings of my pc.

Is your monitor the same make as his?

Are you using the same cables, i.e were you both using the same HDMI or Display Port cables when you conducted your experiment?

So, not swapping between your own set of leads but using the same one to try both monitors?

Are you both using the same Windows version?

If all those things are identical (which I'd be surprised if they are), then it is strange.

But, as I said, mine also registers as being slightly under 144hz so I assumed it's the industry standard.

It does the same for the 60hz version, with it saying 59 point something. 

We are both using DP cables and the windows 10 version I have is 2004 and the windows 10 version my brother has is 20H2. If I change windows versions could that potentially fix that? I have a MSI monitor and he has a Sceptre monitor both at 144hz 

43 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This is entirely normal, refresh rates are approximate, not exact.

I don’t think it is because why is it that my brother on his computer gets 144.00 exactly but I get 143.996 with the exact same monitor 

1 hour ago, thehappymattie said:

We are both using DP cables and the windows 10 version I have is 2004 and the windows 10 version my brother has is 20H2. If I change windows versions could that potentially fix that? I have a MSI monitor and he has a Sceptre monitor both at 144hz 

UPDATE: I just upgraded my windows to my brothers windows which is 20H2 and it didn’t fix it 

14 hours ago, thehappymattie said:

UPDATE: I just upgraded my windows to my brothers windows which is 20H2 and it didn’t fix it 

Ahhh...well, it was worth a try.

So, you have the same OS, same cables etc...the only difference is the brand of monitor?

Could it be something firmware related?

42 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Ahhh...well, it was worth a try.

So, you have the same OS, same cables etc...the only difference is the brand of monitor?

Could it be something firmware related?

I think it might be something with firmware, how would I fix that?

4 hours ago, thehappymattie said:

I think it might be something with firmware, how would I fix that?

I'm not sure.

Is it possible to check your monitors firmware?

Sometimes it has an update.

I don't know how exactly, mate, sorry.